Problems installing Debian on Acer Aspire 1353LC - Portable

This is a discussion on Problems installing Debian on Acer Aspire 1353LC - Portable ; Hi, I want to install Debian on my Acer Aspire 1353LC laptop, so I downloaded the first CD image of Sarge (sarge-i386-1.iso) and burned it. I changed the boot order (CDRW before HD) and was able to boot from the ...

  1. Problems installing Debian on Acer Aspire 1353LC

    Hi,

    I want to install Debian on my Acer Aspire 1353LC laptop, so I
    downloaded the first CD image of Sarge (sarge-i386-1.iso) and burned
    it. I changed the boot order (CDRW before HD) and was able to boot
    from the disc.
    I now get to the boot menu. Everything looks fine here.

    Problem is that wheather I choose "cdrom" or "net" for boot method,
    som sort of colored GUI appears (probably the installer), but the
    image is all distorted. Looks kind of like there's something not in
    sync regarding the swepe-frequency perhaps? It is not possible to read
    at all on the screen so I can't proceed and configure the video later.

    I looked through the help in the boot menu and tried the "mono" and
    "video=vgaff" options (I have no idea why these should work, but
    they seem to be video related at least ) but no luck.

    I also tried the "cdrom144" boot option but then got the following
    prompt:
    "insert the second floppy or plug in a USB storage device"
    "press enter when ready or type a command"

    So I have no clue of what to do. If there was some minor issue, I
    could install and maybe edit the XF86Config file, but since this
    happens when entering the installer, I can't go that way.

    My specs:
    --------
    Comp: Acer Aspire 1353LC
    Current OS: XP Home
    Video: Integrated S3 ProSavage8 (using 64 MB of the RAM)

    TIA

    //Jonatan

  2. Re: Problems installing Debian on Acer Aspire 1353LC

    On 15 Dec 2003 02:11:00 -0800, Jonatan Johansson :

    > I want to install Debian on my Acer Aspire 1353LC laptop, so I
    > downloaded the first CD image of Sarge (sarge-i386-1.iso) and burned
    > it. I changed the boot order (CDRW before HD) and was able to boot
    > from the disc.
    > I now get to the boot menu. Everything looks fine here.
    >
    > Problem is that wheather I choose "cdrom" or "net" for boot method,
    > som sort of colored GUI appears (probably the installer), but the
    > image is all distorted. Looks kind of like there's something not in
    > sync regarding the swepe-frequency perhaps? It is not possible to read
    > at all on the screen so I can't proceed and configure the video later.
    >
    > I looked through the help in the boot menu and tried the "mono" and
    > "video=vgaff" options (I have no idea why these should work, but

    Instead of "off", try "ask". Surely one of the options it comes up
    with will work.

    (*) http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling
    - - http://learn.to/quote (Deutsch) http://quote.6x.to (Eng.)
    Spammers! http://www.spots.ab.ca/~keeling/spammers.html