Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a notebook - Portable

This is a discussion on Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a notebook - Portable ; Has anyone installed any of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions on a notebook? If so, how does it compare to the Red Hat Linux versions (for example RHL 7.3, 8, or 9)? Which version did you install (WS, ES, ...

  1. Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a notebook

    Has anyone installed any of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions
    on a notebook? If so, how does it compare to the Red Hat Linux
    versions (for example RHL 7.3, 8, or 9)? Which version did you
    install (WS, ES, or AS)? Now that 7.3 is no longer going to be
    supported, should I go to RHEL or should I go to Fedora or some
    other distribution? Or should I stick with 7.3 and pick up the
    support from Progeny?

    Thanks.

    -- Dave Strauss

  2. Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a notebook

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 09:59:20 -0500, Dave Strauss wrote:

    > Has anyone installed any of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions
    > on a notebook? If so, how does it compare to the Red Hat Linux
    > versions (for example RHL 7.3, 8, or 9)? Which version did you
    > install (WS, ES, or AS)? Now that 7.3 is no longer going to be
    > supported, should I go to RHEL or should I go to Fedora or some
    > other distribution? Or should I stick with 7.3 and pick up the
    > support from Progeny?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -- Dave Strauss

    I upgraded most of my systems, including my Dell laptop, to Mandrake 9.2.
    RHEL is way to expensive to put on a notebook.

  3. Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux on a notebook

    In article , Dave Strauss wrote:
    > Has anyone installed any of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux versions
    > on a notebook? If so, how does it compare to the Red Hat Linux
    > versions (for example RHL 7.3, 8, or 9)? Which version did you
    > install (WS, ES, or AS)? Now that 7.3 is no longer going to be
    > supported, should I go to RHEL or should I go to Fedora or some
    > other distribution? Or should I stick with 7.3 and pick up the
    > support from Progeny?

    I've found Fedora to be pretty good on my Compaq Presario 2100. It even
    had a beta-level (?) driver for the mobile Radeon (vesa driver works fine
    too), and many ACPI features worked after reading the release notes.

    I've had good experience with SuSE 8.2 as well on this laptop. Tried
    Mandrake 9.something as well, but didn't like it. Many peole claim Gentoo
    to be good on laptops, but I havent bothered to try it. Fedora feels fine.

    No experiene with RHEL.

    --
    Mikko Koivunen
    www.londi.org