Thinkpad - Portable

This is a discussion on Thinkpad - Portable ; Can't get a xserver running on my machine. Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop. (Otherwise the both seem to install just fine ) What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a ...

  1. Thinkpad

    Can't get a xserver running on my machine.

    Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    (Otherwise the both seem to install just fine )

    What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a
    default install)

    Geetings,

    Frank
    --

  2. Re: Thinkpad

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 02:05:12 +0000, Frank typed:

    http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ibm.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Re: Thinkpad

    Which model TP?
    Did the install set up X and run a test?
    Regards, FXS

    Frank wrote:

    > Can't get a xserver running on my machine.
    >
    > Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    > (Otherwise the both seem to install just fine )
    >
    > What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a
    > default install)
    >
    > Geetings,
    >
    > Frank
    > --

  4. Re: Thinkpad

    "Frank" wrote:

    >Can't get a xserver running on my machine.
    >
    >Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    >(Otherwise the both seem to install just fine )
    >
    >What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a
    >default install)
    >
    >Geetings,
    >
    >Frank

    You will have to post which model you are using; they are all
    different. I installed Mandrake 7.2 on a 500Mhz i1210 (M/N 1161-210)
    with 96Meg and to get the SiliconMotion video recognized properly I
    had to immediately upgrade to XFree86 4.02. Be warned that I had
    trouble with the purchased version and used the download one instead.
    Also, Man 7.1 had a lot of issues with this hardware as well.

    I have since added more RAM and a larger HD and moved to Debian. It
    works very well.

    I would suggest you try Knoppix, if it works OK for you then install
    that on the HD. Knoppix is a CD run-able distro (based on Debian)
    that can also be installed.
    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.

  5. Re: Thinkpad

    [Can't get a xserver running on my machine.
    [
    [Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    [(Otherwise the both seem to install just fine )
    [
    [What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a
    [default install)

    It's a IBM Thinkpad T30 with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 videocard 16MB

    With RH I did a laptop install , and when that did not work, I tried a
    custom install.
    With Slackware I tried the ' bare-i' and later a 'bare-usb' kernel.
    Without avail.
    I downloaded a, more or less, suitable X86config file, but I can't get
    it copied into my /etc/x11 directory, that is, it copies but with no
    result.

    Now I do get some network messages, which gives me the idea that the
    system searches only for LAN and WAN and does not look for the console
    127.0.0.1

    I'm a Linux newbie and TFM of Red Hat gives me no clue.

    Any hints ?

    Frank Kalf

  6. Re: Thinkpad

    Frank wrote:

    > Can't get a xserver running on my machine.
    >
    > Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    > (Otherwise the both seem to install just fine )
    >
    > What can be the problem i.e, what have I done wrong (exept doing a
    > default install)
    >
    > Geetings,
    >
    > Frank
    > --

    WHAAAAAA,

    This is written in Slackware/KDesk KNode !!

    I finally did manage to edit the xf86config file with this thing called
    EMacs. (Oh how I love OS/2's 'tedit.exe')

    The K desktop looks great.

    Greeetings,

    Frank Kalf

  7. Re: Thinkpad

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:50:51 +0000, Frank wrote:
    > [Can't get a xserver running on my machine.
    > [Neither RH 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop.
    > It's a IBM Thinkpad T30 with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 videocard 16MB

    As a general rule of thumb use the newest distributions for notebooks.
    They contain often cutting-edge hardware that cannot be supported by
    ancient kernel/X versions.

    Fedora Core 1 installed nicely on my T41, including X autodetect.

    Best,
    Volker

  8. Re: Thinkpad

    "Frank" writes:

    > I'm a Linux newbie and TFM of Red Hat gives me no clue.

    Before you install Linux on *any* machine, you should attempt to
    run a Linux-on-CDROM distribution, the most popular of which is Knoppix
    (http://www.knoppix.org). Knoppix's kernel and x-server are provided
    with every possible hardware configuration imaginable, and the hardware
    detection sequence on Knoppix is second to none. Knoppix loads of the
    CD and runs in a ramdisk; it never reads or writes to the hard drive
    unless you explicitly tell it to by mounting the drive manually.

    That said, I'm amazed that you should be having any trouble with
    a Thinkpad. They're the only thing I've ever owned, and I've never had
    any problem running Linux on any of them.

    Elf

  9. Re: Thinkpad

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 12:23:54 -0800, Elf M. Sternberg staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > "Frank" writes:
    >> I'm a Linux newbie and TFM of Red Hat gives me no clue. Neither RH
    >> 7.2 or Slackware 8.1 produce a desktop. What can be the problem i.e,
    >> what have I done wrong (exept doing a default install) It's a IBM
    >> Thinkpad T30 with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 videocard 16MB

    > Before you install Linux on *any* machine, you should attempt to run a
    > Linux-on-CDROM distribution, the most popular of which is Knoppix

    AOL! There are other "live CDs", like the Gentoo live CD and the SuSE
    live CD; one of those might be preferable if you're thinking of
    installing Gentoo or SuSE for real. It's tough to go wrong with trying
    Knoppix though.

    > That said, I'm amazed that you should be having any trouble with a
    > Thinkpad.

    I think the problem was that Frank was trying to use a couple of older
    distros. The Radeon wasn't well-supported with older XFree86 packages;
    this has been remedied. Redhat 9 or the latest Slack would've detected
    the card and done everything properly, as another poster upthread said.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!