Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31 - Portable

This is a discussion on Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31 - Portable ; I've been trying to set up the "winmodem" on my ThinkPad R1, running SUSE 9.0, with the slmdm drivers. One thing I've noticed, is that the modem audio, while dialing, is extremely low. This makes it *VERY* difficult to monitor ...

  1. Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31

    I've been trying to set up the "winmodem" on my ThinkPad R1, running SUSE
    9.0, with the slmdm drivers. One thing I've noticed, is that the modem
    audio, while dialing, is extremely low. This makes it *VERY* difficult to
    monitor call progress. It's the same with both Kinternet and Kppp. Audio
    from other sources, such as MIDI & wave files is fine. The modem audio
    level was fine under Red Hat 7.3 and XP.

    Any ideas?

    tnx jk

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  2. Re: Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31

    On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:35:42 GMT, James Knott wrote:

    > audio, while dialing, is extremely low. This makes it *VERY* difficult to

    .... add the following initialization strings, as required

    Ln Loudness of speaker volume
    n=0, low
    n=1, low
    n=2, medium
    n=3, high
    ex. L2 = this will give you the preferable medium setting

    Mn Speaker control. Mode of speaker operation.
    n=0, speaker always OFF
    n=1, speaker ON when phone is off-hook speaker OFF
    when Carrier Detected
    n=2, speaker always ON
    n=3, speaker ON after dialing until Carrier Detected. Disable
    speaker when modem receives a carrier signal
    while modem is dialing.
    ex. M1 = good way to listen in on a conversation
    without ever being noticed

    Opinions are like assholes - everyone's got one, but nobody
    wants to look at the other guy's. - Hal Hickman

  3. Re: Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31

    mjt wrote:

    > On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:35:42 GMT, James Knott
    > wrote:
    >
    >> audio, while dialing, is extremely low. This makes it *VERY* difficult

    > ... add the following initialization strings, as required
    >
    > Ln Loudness of speaker volume
    > n=0, low
    > n=1, low
    > n=2, medium
    > n=3, high
    > ex. L2 = this will give you the preferable medium setting
    >
    > Mn Speaker control. Mode of speaker operation.
    > n=0, speaker always OFF
    > n=1, speaker ON when phone is off-hook speaker OFF
    > when Carrier Detected
    > n=2, speaker always ON
    > n=3, speaker ON after dialing until Carrier Detected. Disable
    > speaker when modem receives a carrier signal
    > while modem is dialing.
    > ex. M1 = good way to listen in on a conversation
    > without ever being noticed

    All those commands are set correctly. The problem also happens with 2
    different dialers, so it's something to do with passing the audio signal to
    the speaker etc.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  4. Re: Low modem audio in SUSE 9 on ThinkPad R31

    James Knott wrote:

    > I've been trying to set up the "winmodem" on my ThinkPad R1, running SUSE
    > 9.0, with the slmdm drivers. One thing I've noticed, is that the modem
    > audio, while dialing, is extremely low. This makes it *VERY* difficult to
    > monitor call progress. It's the same with both Kinternet and Kppp. Audio
    > from other sources, such as MIDI & wave files is fine. The modem audio
    > level was fine under Red Hat 7.3 and XP.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > tnx jk

    I use Suse 9.0 in my Toshiba S2450-101 that has a winmodem. I run
    slmdm-2.7.10 with the amrmo_init.c patched in line 75 ox2486 to ox24C6. The
    modem works great, and the sound of the modem is clear and loud

+ Reply to Thread