pcmcia/cardbus wireless adapter: where? - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia/cardbus wireless adapter: where? - Portable ; I'm reviving an old laptop by putting Linux on it. Everything is going great so far and I'm truly glad I've finally started playing with Linux (Fedora Core 1). The idea of working (again) with an OS for which I ...

  1. pcmcia/cardbus wireless adapter: where?

    I'm reviving an old laptop by putting Linux on it. Everything is going great
    so far and I'm truly glad I've finally started playing with Linux (Fedora
    Core 1). The idea of working (again) with an OS for which I can look (or
    even fiddle!) under the hood really thrills me.

    Since this laptop has no built-in network adapters built in I'm using
    PCMCIA. So far I have an ethernet connection working just fine, using a
    Netgear FA411 card.

    There are times, however, when I would need wireless, so I am trying to get
    that going as well. So far, I haven't had any luck finding anything on the
    supported devices list
    (http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS) for sale anywhere.

    Does someone have some recommendations about where I can buy PCMCIA wireless
    card for Linux? (I'm running Fedora Core 1) .

    The only one I could find at Fry's the other night was a WPC11 v.4, which,
    it turns out (according to the fine print) is not supported.

    Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

    rpnman

  2. Re: pcmcia/cardbus wireless adapter: where?

    On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:41:33 +0000, rpnman typed:

    http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. Relative newbie needs help with PCMCIA/wireless.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.12.11.02.18.24.702793@127.0.0.1...
    > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:41:33 +0000, rpnman typed:
    >
    > > Does someone have some recommendations about where I can buy PCMCIA
    > > wireless card for Linux? (I'm running Fedora Core 1) .

    > http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html

    Ok... I dug, read, bought, configured and have been struggling.

    When I try to activate my wireless connection I get:

    cannot activate network device wlan0!
    prism2_cs device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization

    even tho cardcfg yields:

    Socket 0:
    product info: "NETGEAR", "FA411", "Fast Ethernet"
    manfid: 0x0149,0x0411
    function: 6 (network)

    Socket 1:
    product info: "Microsoft", "Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520", "1.0.3"
    manfid: 0x02d2, 0x0001\
    function: 6 (network)

    and all the lights come on (indicating link) on the card.

    The same results happen when the FA411 is not present.

    I'm fairly sure I have installed all three linux-wlan-ng packages correctly
    and modified/created /etc/wlan/wlan.config and wlan-MYSID.config per the
    instructions.

    I'm running Fedora core 1 + a few updates (via "yum update")

    Any pointers? Comments? Suggestions? (Appreciated.)

    Thanks in advance,
    Roger Neyman neyman@pobox.com

  4. Re: Relative newbie needs help with PCMCIA/wireless.

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:35:31 +0000, rpnman typed:

    http://linuxquestions.org/questions/history/89946

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  5. Re: Relative newbie needs help with PCMCIA/wireless.

    Thanx. linuxquestions looks like a great resource! that's two for two,
    Lenard.

    "Lenard" wrote in message
    newsan.2003.12.17.14.00.04.888340@127.0.0.1...
    > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:35:31 +0000, rpnman typed:
    >
    > > Any pointers? Comments? Suggestions? (Appreciated.)

    > http://linuxquestions.org/questions/history/89946
    >

    > --
    > SCO + RICO Act = Justice
    >
    > Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

+ Reply to Thread