toshiba 3020ct & suse 9.0 soundconfig??? - Portable

This is a discussion on toshiba 3020ct & suse 9.0 soundconfig??? - Portable ; hi all, my hair's turning grey, i'm getting the shakes and i'm eyeballing the virgin white wall next to me! all i want to do is listen to some music, please.... can anyone help me out here? or am i ...

  1. toshiba 3020ct & suse 9.0 soundconfig???

    hi all,
    my hair's turning grey, i'm getting the shakes and i'm eyeballing the virgin
    white wall next to me!
    all i want to do is listen to some music, please....

    can anyone help me out here? or am i going to ask suse for a refund?

    oby

  2. Re: toshiba 3020ct & suse 9.0 soundconfig???

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:10:05 +0100, Oby staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > [ toshiba 3020CT laptop, sound doesn't work automagically with SuSE
    > 9.0 ]

    If you put important information in the Subject: line, repeat it in the
    message body, otherwise it tends to get lost.

    > my hair's turning grey, i'm getting the shakes and i'm eyeballing the
    > virgin white wall next to me! all i want to do is listen to some
    > music, please.... can anyone help me out here?

    You can help yourself out by Googling for "toshiba 3020ct linux", which
    leads in short order to http://www.topology.org/linux/sound.html . The
    soundcard is on the @#$%ing ISA bus, which is always fun; fortunately,
    it's a CS4236. If I were you, I'd forget using ALSA; it's a pain in the
    ass even when you have a PCI card. You should be able to get something
    going with these commands:

    modprobe sound dmabuf=1
    modprobe opl3 io=0x388
    modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x530 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

    (try 0x534 if 0x530 doesn't work.)

    > or am i going to ask suse for a refund?

    You can ask, but you ain't going to get one. If you're thinking about
    buying a laptop and running Linux on it, you should always Google before
    you buy and make sure there aren't any gotchas. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!