Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help? - Portable

This is a discussion on Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help? - Portable ; My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair or reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I would love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found ...

  1. Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair or
    reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I would
    love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot disk with
    read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to be there. The
    problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide
    adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local store that stocks
    them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think if I can get
    read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to boot, letting me
    transfer my data off and reformat to see if the drive really is going. Or is
    there a "lite"/mini linux that runs off CD I can run that might be able to
    use the built in network card. I would like small because I would need to
    download off dialup; but don't mind letting a download go all night, just
    don't think I can pull off a 600M+ size. Also I know almost nothing of how
    to run linux. I tried a version in like 98, 99 (can't remember the version)
    and it's different than my dos knowledge, so I could use a simple version,
    or one with quick learning curve, I'm not computer illerate, just been MS
    bound for the software needs I have.

    Thanks

    Bryan

  2. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    Bryan wrote:
    > My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair or
    > reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I would
    > love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot disk with
    > read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to be there. The
    > problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide
    > adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local store that stocks
    > them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    > booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think if I can get
    > read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to boot, letting me
    > transfer my data off and reformat to see if the drive really is going. Or is
    > there a "lite"/mini linux that runs off CD I can run that might be able to
    > use the built in network card. I would like small because I would need to
    > download off dialup; but don't mind letting a download go all night, just
    > don't think I can pull off a 600M+ size. Also I know almost nothing of how
    > to run linux. I tried a version in like 98, 99 (can't remember the version)
    > and it's different than my dos knowledge, so I could use a simple version,
    > or one with quick learning curve, I'm not computer illerate, just been MS
    > bound for the software needs I have.

    Take a look at knoppix, not sure if it supports ntfs.

    //Aho

  3. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 20:56:09 +0100, J.O. Aho wrote:

    > Bryan wrote:
    >> My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair
    >> or reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data
    >> I would love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot
    >> disk with read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to
    >> be there. The problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a
    >> 2.5" to 3.5" ide adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local
    >> store that stocks them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or
    >> other method) of booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think
    >> if I can get read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to
    >> boot, letting me transfer my data off and reformat to see if the drive
    >> really is going. Or is there a "lite"/mini linux that runs off CD I can
    >> run that might be able to use the built in network card. I would like
    >> small because I would need to download off dialup; but don't mind
    >> letting a download go all night, just don't think I can pull off a 600M+
    >> size. Also I know almost nothing of how to run linux. I tried a version
    >> in like 98, 99 (can't remember the version) and it's different than my
    >> dos knowledge, so I could use a simple version, or one with quick
    >> learning curve, I'm not computer illerate, just been MS bound for the
    >> software needs I have.

    > Take a look at knoppix, not sure if it supports ntfs.

    Hmmz, any decent linux rescue cd ought to be able to get this data off
    that disk. Problem is that in order to use them you need yr way around in
    linux.

    Have you tried to hook this disk up as a 2nd disk in a working windows
    2000 or xp system to see if you can get to the data that way (that seems a
    more familiar way for you to work I guess).

    regards,

    WIZ

  4. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:50:31 -0600, "Bryan" wrote:

    > So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    > booting the machine to try to get at this data?

    ..... knoppix.net
    ..
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and,
    whatever you hit, call it the target.

  5. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    In news:bqo3hf$24qst2$2@ID-130698.news.uni-berlin.de,
    J.O. Aho rambled:

    > Take a look at knoppix, not sure if it supports ntfs.

    It does, I've used it to do exactly what the OP wants to do. It even let me
    recover from my Promise RAID setup with Win2k NTFS on it.
    --
    Billy

    "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    I think so, Brain, but I find scratching just makes it worse.

  6. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    mjt wrote:

    >On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:50:31 -0600, "Bryan" wrote:
    >
    >> So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    >> booting the machine to try to get at this data?

    >.... knoppix.net
    >.

    -snip

    knoppix will do it.. but the OP said he only had a dialup
    connection.... and knoppix is 550MB+ IIRC

    try looking for a magazine with a *run off CD* version of linux..

    keith

  7. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    keith wrote:
    > mjt wrote:
    >> "Bryan" wrote:

    >>> So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    >>> booting the machine to try to get at this data?

    >>.... knoppix.net
    >>.

    > -snip
    >
    > knoppix will do it.. but the OP said he only had a dialup
    > connection.... and knoppix is 550MB+ IIRC
    >
    > try looking for a magazine with a *run off CD* version of linux..

    Tom's includes the NTFS drivers...

    www.toms.net

    .... and it only takes one floppy.

    --
    ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey
    /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
    |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
    '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

  8. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    Bryan wrote:

    > My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair
    > or reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I
    > would love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot disk
    > with read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to be
    > there. The problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a 2.5" to

    As already suggested, use knoppix to get your important data off of the hd.
    You need net access from the laptop, or save it to some usb stick or the
    necessary amount of floppies. Knoppix can detect most NICs or even some
    (ac97) modems or better real modems, and connect you to your ISP or a LAN,
    or it can write the retrieved data to usb media.

    > 3.5" ide adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local store that
    > stocks them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method)
    > of booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think if I can get
    > read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to boot, letting me

    Not adviseable after all. Current linux distributions can modify ntfs
    partitions (not really "write", just change existing files) if you take the
    guts and recompile your kernel to allow that. But the danger of trashing
    your NTFS completely is far better.
    What you would need is a tool like ERD Commander from Winternals, a XP style
    "mini-XP" on live-cd, which can do things like that.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]

  9. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Bryan wrote:

    > My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair or
    > reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I would
    > love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot disk with
    > read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to be there. The
    > problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide
    > adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local store that stocks
    > them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    > booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think if I can get
    > read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to boot, letting me
    > transfer my data off and reformat to see if the drive really is going. Or is
    > there a "lite"/mini linux that runs off CD I can run that might be able to
    > use the built in network card. I would like small because I would need to
    > download off dialup; but don't mind letting a download go all night, just
    > don't think I can pull off a 600M+ size. Also I know almost nothing of how
    > to run linux. I tried a version in like 98, 99 (can't remember the version)
    > and it's different than my dos knowledge, so I could use a simple version,
    > or one with quick learning curve, I'm not computer illerate, just been MS
    > bound for the software needs I have.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bryan

    As others have suggested, you could try a linux distro such as
    Knoppix/Suse Live etc.

    However, there is a program out there that will run from a DOS prompt and
    is small to download (it fits on a floppy).

    Have a look at:

    http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

    It's not that user-friendly or stable but, if you use it inconjunction
    with a partition tool such as (this also fits on a floppy):

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    or partition magic then you can create a small fat32 partition for your
    rescued files. This way, you can save your individual files to the new
    partition. Reinstalling windows to the original partition would give you
    access to everything... Alternatively, you could also copy the files to a
    floppy.

    Naturally, this method is of no use if you (a) have no floppy drive or (b)
    the hd is really screwed.

    However, I successfully used this method to sort out a mate's laptop that
    went the way of the dodo with some very important files on it.

    HTH,

    Dave

  10. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 03:00:19 GMT, keith@-REMOVE-iol.ie (keith) wrote:

    > >.... knoppix.net

    > knoppix will do it.. but the OP said he only had a dialup
    > connection.... and knoppix is 550MB+ IIRC

    .... the other option is to find a friend or collegue or
    enemy who'll download/burn it for them
    ..
    A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.

  11. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is able to
    mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux, just
    really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the notebook.

    DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able to get
    it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the built in nic to
    surf the web.
    So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux to copy
    the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k drive? I'm
    sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?
    Or back to plan A of finding a write access program to let me fix the file
    and possibly get win2k running again.

    Thanks

    Bryan

    "Billy Watt" wrote in message
    > In news:bqo3hf$24qst2$2@ID-130698.news.uni-berlin.de,
    > J.O. Aho rambled:
    >

    > > Take a look at knoppix, not sure if it supports ntfs.
    > >

    > It does, I've used it to do exactly what the OP wants to do. It even let

    me
    > recover from my Promise RAID setup with Win2k NTFS on it.
    > --
    > Billy
    >
    > "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    > I think so, Brain, but I find scratching just makes it worse.

  12. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    In news:yJmdnc8q268iLkyiRVn-sA@gbronline.com,
    Bryan rambled:
    > Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    > downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is
    > able to mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    > I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux,
    > just really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the
    > notebook.
    >
    > DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able
    > to get it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the
    > built in nic to surf the web.
    > So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux
    > to copy the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k
    > drive? I'm sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?
    > Or back to plan A of finding a write access program to let me fix the
    > file and possibly get win2k running again.

    I slung a spare FAT32 hard drive into the machine, booted knoppix, mounted
    the drives and copied the stuff onto the spare drive. That was the easy
    part, re-installing 2k took me almost 8 hours due to a large amount of
    incorrect documentation with the Promise RAID drivers and the fact that you
    can only use floppies to load extra drivers when doing an install of 2k and
    most of my floppies had been gathering dust for a long time.

    If you're looking to copy stuff to a networked 2k drive then you need to get
    Samba working which DSL doesn't seem to have.

    Might be worth trying to get the SSH server in DSL working and use
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ from the win2k machine to
    log into the box running DSL and copy stuff over the network that way.

    Think laterally, you have 2 machines so try to use them both rather than
    only seeing the 2k box as a place to dump the stuff.
    --
    Billy

    "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    Umm, I think so, Brain, but three men in a tub? Ooh, that's unsanitary!

  13. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:48:05 -0600, Bryan wrote:
    > Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    > downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is able to
    > mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    > I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux, just
    > really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the notebook.
    >
    > DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able to get
    > it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the built in nic to
    > surf the web.
    > So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux to copy
    > the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k drive?

    Assuming target win2k allows ftp from afu system.

    cd /where/ntfs/files_are
    ftp win2k_ip_addy_here
    mput *.txt
    put file1.txt
    bye

  14. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:48:05 -0600, Bryan wrote:
    > Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    > downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is able to
    > mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    > I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux, just
    > really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the notebook.
    >
    > DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able to get
    > it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the built in nic to
    > surf the web.
    > So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux to copy
    > the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k drive? I'm
    > sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?
    > Or back to plan A of finding a write access program to let me fix the file
    > and possibly get win2k running again.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Bryan

    If you have a file share on the windows system (the sort you'd access
    by \\computername\sharename in win) then you can mount this in linux:

    As root type:
    mkdir /tmp/share
    mount -t smbfs //computername/sharename /tmp/share -o username=foo
    remembering to use / rather than \, and where foo is the username on the
    win2k sharing computer. That will ask you for the password, then you can
    copy everything to /tmp/share.

    chris

  15. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    Thanks!

    Ok, got putty d/l'd. Played with it a bit, and able to connect to the linux
    box. I can not seem to find a way to copy data tho. Can you help me there
    also? I did see psftp with the get command, but that gets 1 file at a time,
    I need 1000's. suggestions? is there a gui way to move files (like win
    explorer or dsl's emelfm?

    Thanks again

    Bryan

    "Billy Watt" wrote in message
    > In news:yJmdnc8q268iLkyiRVn-sA@gbronline.com,
    > Bryan rambled:
    > > Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    > > downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is
    > > able to mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    > > I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux,
    > > just really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the
    > > notebook.
    > >
    > > DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able
    > > to get it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the
    > > built in nic to surf the web.
    > > So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux
    > > to copy the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k
    > > drive? I'm sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?
    > > Or back to plan A of finding a write access program to let me fix the
    > > file and possibly get win2k running again.
    > >

    > I slung a spare FAT32 hard drive into the machine, booted knoppix, mounted
    > the drives and copied the stuff onto the spare drive. That was the easy
    > part, re-installing 2k took me almost 8 hours due to a large amount of
    > incorrect documentation with the Promise RAID drivers and the fact that

    you
    > can only use floppies to load extra drivers when doing an install of 2k

    and
    > most of my floppies had been gathering dust for a long time.
    >
    > If you're looking to copy stuff to a networked 2k drive then you need to

    get
    > Samba working which DSL doesn't seem to have.
    >
    > Might be worth trying to get the SSH server in DSL working and use
    > http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ from the win2k machine

    > log into the box running DSL and copy stuff over the network that way.
    >
    > Think laterally, you have 2 machines so try to use them both rather than
    > only seeing the 2k box as a place to dump the stuff.
    > --
    > Billy
    >
    > "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
    > Umm, I think so, Brain, but three men in a tub? Ooh, that's unsanitary!

  16. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
    On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 12:09:02 -0600, Bryan staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:

    Please don't top-post, and trim irrelevant material from your posts when
    following up. Message rearranged to comply with Usenet conventions.

    > "Billy Watt" wrote in message
    >> Might be worth trying to get the SSH server in DSL working and use
    >> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ from the win2k
    >> machine to log into the box running DSL and copy stuff over the
    >> network that way.

    > Ok, got putty d/l'd. Played with it a bit, and able to connect to the
    > linux box. I can not seem to find a way to copy data tho. Can you help
    > me there also?

    PuTTY is best at doing interactive ssh sessions. You probably want scp,
    which transfers files securely. There's a reasonably good 'Doze scp
    client available at http://winscp.sourceforge.net/eng/ .

    > is there a gui way to move files (like win explorer or dsl's emelfm?

    WinSCP2's GUI is similar to WS_FTP's, if you remember that.

    http://www.brainbench.com / Hire me!

  17. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    "J.O. Aho" wrote in message
    > Bryan wrote:
    > > My notebook with win2k crashed, hard. I can't boot windows, can't repair

    or
    > > reinstall, setup says the drive is corrupt. There a few megs of data I

    would
    > > love to retrieve off the HD if I can. I have found a ntfs boot disk with
    > > read access, viewed the drive and everything I want seems to be there.

    The
    > > problem lies in moving it to a good HD. I plan to get a 2.5" to 3.5" ide
    > > adaptor, but have to order one as I can't find a local store that stocks
    > > them. So while I wait, can anyone suggest a linux (or other method) of
    > > booting the machine to try to get at this data? I think if I can get
    > > read/write access I can fix the windows problem enough to boot, letting

    me
    > > transfer my data off and reformat to see if the drive really is going.

    Or is
    > > there a "lite"/mini linux that runs off CD I can run that might be able

    > > use the built in network card. I would like small because I would need

    > > download off dialup; but don't mind letting a download go all night,

    just
    > > don't think I can pull off a 600M+ size. Also I know almost nothing of

    how
    > > to run linux. I tried a version in like 98, 99 (can't remember the

    version)
    > > and it's different than my dos knowledge, so I could use a simple

    version,
    > > or one with quick learning curve, I'm not computer illerate, just been

    MS
    > > bound for the software needs I have.

    > Take a look at knoppix, not sure if it supports ntfs.

    You can use the new Fedora "rescuecd.iso" CD image, run it in "rescue" mode,
    and install the ntfs read-only driver on the running CD-based OS by using a
    floppy to install it or turning on the network and downloading it. By having
    the network, you can use FTP or something like that to install the files
    somewhere else.

    Now, me? I use a hot-swap drive bay for this sort of stunt, with a
    2.5"->3.5" IDE adapter when needed to put the drive in question in my Linux
    system. It makes my life easier.

  18. Re: Newbie, need to retieve data off ntfs drive. can Linux help?

    "Chris Share" wrote in message
    news:slrnbt3j8n.18e.chris@hal.trinhall.cam.ac.uk.. .
    > On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 04:48:05 -0600, Bryan wrote:
    > > Ok, was able to get a copy of what's called Damn small linux (DSL)
    > > downloaded, and believe it based on kopixx, but smaller (50M) It is able

    > > mount the ntfs drive, but in read only.
    > > I was hoping Billy could elaborate some as I know nothing of Linux, just
    > > really want to get my data off the HD, and start over on the notebook.
    > >
    > > DSL is a gui linux (very helpful for me!), and with google I was able to

    get
    > > it running off cd, mount the ntfs drive, even configure the built in nic

    > > surf the web.
    > > So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux to

    copy
    > > the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k drive? I'm
    > > sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?
    > > Or back to plan A of finding a write access program to let me fix the

    file
    > > and possibly get win2k running again.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Bryan

    > If you have a file share on the windows system (the sort you'd access
    > by \\computername\sharename in win) then you can mount this in linux:

    If the Windows box has file sharing enabled in the network settings, (which
    is enabled by default!), and no firewall is blocking the SMB file-sharing
    ports, then you can *ALWAYS* mount the C: partition, which is always shared
    as \\computername\C$.

    mkdir /mnt/c
    mount -t smbfs //computername/C$ /mnt/c -o username=Administrator

    > As root type:
    > mkdir /tmp/share
    > mount -t smbfs //computername/sharename /tmp/share -o username=foo
    > remembering to use / rather than \, and where foo is the username on the
    > win2k sharing computer. That will ask you for the password, then you can
    > copy everything to /tmp/share.

    Yup. But see above, which is often easier to do.

    Bryan wrote:
    >So this leads me into another option, how can I use the nic & linux to copy
    >the data from the mounted readonly drive to a networked win2k drive? I'm
    >sure there has to be some (easy???) way to do this?

    You can either use smbclient, which may be a pain, or just
    download a shareware FTP server for your Win2k machine and ftp it
    from the Linux machine to the W2k machine.

    - awh

+ Reply to Thread