==> AMD POWERNOW! Technology in mandrake 9.2... Help - Portable

This is a discussion on ==> AMD POWERNOW! Technology in mandrake 9.2... Help - Portable ; Hi everybody... I need a little help. I've installed Mandrake 9.2 in my ACER 1315LC notebook. My pc is based on a CPU "AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ " (with powernow!) ... Well, this cpu is able to run at a ...

  1. ==> AMD POWERNOW! Technology in mandrake 9.2... Help

    Hi everybody...
    I need a little help. I've installed Mandrake 9.2 in my ACER 1315LC
    notebook.
    My pc is based on a CPU "AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ " (with powernow!) ...
    Well, this cpu is able to run at a "low power mode" (and a lower frequency)
    when the work load is not high.
    Then, when i ask the system to run a higher load task, the OS push up the
    frequency and give more power to the cpu, so the cpu-fan begins to work (to
    keep the temperature under control). This is somenthing like INTEL SPEEDSTEP
    TECHNOLGY....

    Well my problem is here: when i run MS Windows XP on my notebook, all seems
    to work fine... While i work in office environment, the cpu remains always
    in "low power mode" (with cpu-fan OFF), and only when i launch a "strong"
    task, the fan starts...

    But, when i use MANDRAKE 9.2 OS, the powernow technology seems not
    working...
    I always ear the fan noise... It remains always on, even if the system is
    not working ! In few minutes, the cpu temperature rises high because it
    stays at the max frequency all the time.
    Why ? How can i enable the support for the Powernow technology under Linux
    Mandrake ?
    Thank you very much for your help.

  2. Re: ==> AMD POWERNOW! Technology in mandrake 9.2... Help

    > But, when i use MANDRAKE 9.2 OS, the powernow technology seems not
    > working...
    > I always ear the fan noise... It remains always on, even if the system is
    > not working ! In few minutes, the cpu temperature rises high because it
    > stays at the max frequency all the time.
    > Why ? How can i enable the support for the Powernow technology under Linux
    > Mandrake ?
    > Thank you very much for your help.

    Is ACPI enabled? (APM should be disabled)

    Is powernow-k7 module loaded? (modprobe powernow-k7).

    finally, you need the cpufreq interface enabled on the kernel and some
    daemon to change the cpu speed on the fly.

+ Reply to Thread