compaq armada problem - Portable

This is a discussion on compaq armada problem - Portable ; Hi everybody. I just bought a second (third, fourth...) hand armada 1750 laptop. My first laptop... For all those that, like me until yesterday were not familiar with the workings of this latop, it stores the bios setup program on ...

  1. compaq armada problem

    Hi everybody.

    I just bought a second (third, fourth...) hand armada 1750 laptop. My first
    laptop...
    For all those that, like me until yesterday were not familiar with the
    workings of this latop, it stores the bios setup program on a partition on
    the hard disk and in some flash it has some instructions on how and where
    to find the bios, meaning either on a floppy or on the hard disk.
    everything worked fine until yesterday afternoon, when after a reboot it
    didn't want to start. I guess the problem was installing linux and writing
    lilo in the mbr. this really screwed up everything. When asked to enter
    bios the laptop was calling lilo and lilo was calling the linux kernel
    which unfolded until it filled the allocated memory for the normal bios
    setup. the big surprise came when it didn't want to boot from floppy or cd,
    I guess because of the bios information telling it to boot from the hard
    drive, where it didn't find an operating system besides the linux partition
    it now considered bios.
    I spent most of today disassembling the laptop and putting it back together
    a multitude of times until I discoverde how to remove the keyboard. I found
    the battery, I removed it, probably reset the bios, because it said the
    system time was not set. Now it's even stranger. Sometimes it boots from
    floppy, never from cd and I managed to erase the partition table on the
    hard disk, so that's empty.
    I ran out of ideas.
    Can you help me?

    Thanks,
    Cristian.

  2. Re: compaq armada problem

    Cristian Cimpianu wrote:

    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > I just bought a second (third, fourth...) hand armada 1750 laptop. My
    > first laptop...
    > For all those that, like me until yesterday were not familiar with the
    > workings of this latop, it stores the bios setup program on a partition on
    > the hard disk and in some flash it has some instructions on how and where
    > to find the bios, meaning either on a floppy or on the hard disk.
    > everything worked fine until yesterday afternoon, when after a reboot it
    > didn't want to start. I guess the problem was installing linux and writing
    > lilo in the mbr. this really screwed up everything. When asked to enter
    > bios the laptop was calling lilo and lilo was calling the linux kernel
    > which unfolded until it filled the allocated memory for the normal bios
    > setup. the big surprise came when it didn't want to boot from floppy or
    > cd, I guess because of the bios information telling it to boot from the
    > hard drive, where it didn't find an operating system besides the linux
    > partition it now considered bios.
    > I spent most of today disassembling the laptop and putting it back
    > together a multitude of times until I discoverde how to remove the
    > keyboard. I found the battery, I removed it, probably reset the bios,
    > because it said the system time was not set. Now it's even stranger.
    > Sometimes it boots from floppy, never from cd and I managed to erase the
    > partition table on the hard disk, so that's empty.
    > I ran out of ideas.
    > Can you help me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Cristian.

    power the laptop off. Hold down the Fn key and while turning on tap f11 a
    few times. You will hear the little pop from the speakers and the keyboard
    lights will go on and off like normal and then if you times it right it
    will repeat a second time. This clears the cmos settings and it defaults
    to booting from CD. I'm not sure about getting the setup partition to work
    with linux, but I don't know why it wouldn't. They basically write a
    second mbr in another location on the hdd and when you hit f10 it looks for
    that mbr so the linux install shouldn't affect the real one. You could
    just do an install without that partition, the bios will auto detect the
    hdd and you can run the setup program from floppy, which you shouldn't ever
    need to run it.

  3. Re: compaq armada problem

    On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:53:39 +0100, Cristian Cimpianu wrote:
    > Hi everybody.
    >
    > I just bought a second (third, fourth...) hand armada 1750 laptop. My first
    > laptop...
    > For all those that, like me until yesterday were not familiar with the
    > workings of this latop, it stores the bios setup program on a partition on
    > the hard disk and in some flash it has some instructions on how and where
    > to find the bios, meaning either on a floppy or on the hard disk.
    > everything worked fine until yesterday afternoon, when after a reboot it
    > didn't want to start. I guess the problem was installing linux and writing
    > lilo in the mbr. this really screwed up everything. When asked to enter
    > bios the laptop was calling lilo and lilo was calling the linux kernel
    > which unfolded until it filled the allocated memory for the normal bios
    > setup. the big surprise came when it didn't want to boot from floppy or cd,
    > I guess because of the bios information telling it to boot from the hard
    > drive, where it didn't find an operating system besides the linux partition
    > it now considered bios.
    > I spent most of today disassembling the laptop and putting it back together
    > a multitude of times until I discoverde how to remove the keyboard. I found
    > the battery, I removed it, probably reset the bios, because it said the
    > system time was not set. Now it's even stranger. Sometimes it boots from
    > floppy, never from cd and I managed to erase the partition table on the
    > hard disk, so that's empty.
    > I ran out of ideas.
    > Can you help me?

    How it works on my Armada 1590dmt: Debian install added the compaq
    maintaiance partition to the lilo boot menu. To enter setup, on boot I pick
    the maintainance partition to boot from. The computer then reboots. I pick
    the maintainance partition _again_, and this time I enter bios setup.
    Goofy, yes, but it works.

    Your mileage may, of course, vary.

    --
    Achtung! Windows users! Get this and run it:
    Swen worm removal tool: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixSwen.exe

  4. Re: compaq armada problem

    > power the laptop off. Hold down the Fn key and while turning on tap f11 a
    > few times. You will hear the little pop from the speakers and the
    > keyboard lights will go on and off like normal and then if you times it
    > right it
    > will repeat a second time. This clears the cmos settings and it defaults
    > to booting from CD. I'm not sure about getting the setup partition to
    > work
    > with linux, but I don't know why it wouldn't. They basically write a
    > second mbr in another location on the hdd and when you hit f10 it looks
    > for
    > that mbr so the linux install shouldn't affect the real one. You could
    > just do an install without that partition, the bios will auto detect the
    > hdd and you can run the setup program from floppy, which you shouldn't
    > ever need to run it.

    thanks a lot. it worked like a charm. it turns out I did exactly that a
    couple of times but I didn't know I was doing it...

+ Reply to Thread