Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom - Portable

This is a discussion on Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom - Portable ; Hey all, I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1 (non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to run just a simple window manager with abiword. I ...

  1. Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

    Hey all,
    I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1
    (non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to
    run just a simple window manager with abiword. I do have a pcmcia nic and
    with like to do an ftp install of something like vector linux but can't
    find a way to do that. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    William

  2. Re: Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

    "OurGodlivz" skrev i meddelandet
    > Hey all,
    > I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1
    > (non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to
    > run just a simple window manager with abiword. I do have a pcmcia nic and
    > with like to do an ftp install of something like vector linux but can't
    > find a way to do that. Any ideas?
    > Thanks,
    > William

    Try the pcmcia.img and write it to a floppy and boot from it, then you
    probably can install it from network.

  3. Re: Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

  4. Re: Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

    On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 08:35:23 -0500, OurGodlivz
    wrote in comp.os.linux.portable:

    >Hey all,
    >I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1
    >(non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to
    >run just a simple window manager with abiword. I do have a pcmcia nic and
    >with like to do an ftp install of something like vector linux but can't
    >find a way to do that. Any ideas?
    >Thanks,
    >William

    Try Debian. It has a network-based install that loads from only a few
    floppies. It runs fine on 40Mb as long as you don't go crazy with
    packages.

  5. Re: Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

    In article ,
    OurGodlivz wrote:
    >Hey all,
    >I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1
    >(non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to
    >run just a simple window manager with abiword. I do have a pcmcia nic and
    >with like to do an ftp install of something like vector linux but can't
    >find a way to do that. Any ideas?
    >Thanks,
    >William

    You actually have two challenges... finding a Linux distribution which
    will fit and finding a Linux distribution which supports PCMCIA LAN
    cards in their boot modules package.

    If your HD is large enough, the easy way is to partition the disk so you
    can install DOS or Windows on one partition, copy the Linux CD(s) to
    that partition, then boot from floppy and do your Linux install from the
    FAT partition on your HD into a Linux partition.

    If you're attempting to install a newer distribution, you need to read
    the instructions carefully, because you'll want a swap partition just to
    run the installation programs.

    FWIW: I recently loaded SuSE 8.2 onto a IBM 560 with 72M RAM using a
    3C589 PCMCIA card to a local NFS server with the DVD. Yast was a pig,
    taking minutes to refresh the screen, but once installed it worked like
    a champ. The key is to do a manual install and load the modules required
    to get the network up and running (PCMCIA and the card itself).

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

  6. Re: Old Laptop without USB or CD-rom

    The Network stopped what it was doing as OurGodlivz spoke up:
    > Hey all,
    > I am trying to install a linux on a old Ibm laptop. 40mb ram P-1
    > (non-expandable) and only a floppy. No usb for my usb drive. I want to
    > run just a simple window manager with abiword. I do have a pcmcia nic and
    > with like to do an ftp install of something like vector linux but can't
    > find a way to do that. Any ideas?
    > Thanks,
    > William

    If you have another computer handy with a CD drive, you could try
    linking them with a null parallel cable, boot the laptop with a floppy
    Linux like tomsrtbt [ http://www.toms.net/rb/ ], and then install over
    PLIP. The tomsrtbt mailing list archives (same site) has any amount of
    information on this, and I myself had to do something similar just the
    other day.
    One word of advice if you chose this road; check the BIOS setup on
    both computers and make sure the parallel port is set to
    "Bidirectional". You'd be shocked how long it took me to figure *that*
    one out!

    ===
    God Bless,
    The Grey Knight