getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad - Portable

This is a discussion on getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad - Portable ; Hi, I'm a linux novice. I have RedHat 7.2 n an oldish Thinkpad i-series laptop and I can't get this Ethernet PC card to work, anyone can help? thanks in advance. The card is a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card. ...

  1. getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad

    Hi, I'm a linux novice. I have RedHat 7.2 n an oldish Thinkpad
    i-series
    laptop and I can't get this Ethernet PC card to work, anyone can help?
    thanks in advance.

    The card is a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card.
    It is indicated as supported on the Linux Ethernet Howto.
    The part number is 292808-001. On top of the card there is also the
    number 292811-001, and on the back 292811-002.

    Upon booting the system beeps and seems to recognize the card.
    In the Network configuration program I tried to initialize the card
    but no Compaq card is listed. What do I need to do?

    This is in the output of dmesg:
    eth0: Compaq: port 0x300, irq 3, hwaddr 00:80:5F8:F1:5F

    Also, some other ouptput:

    [root@localhost]# cat /proc/net/dev
    Inter-| Receive |
    Transmit
    face |bytes packets errs drop fifo frame compressed
    multicast|bytes packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
    lo: 3788 56 0 0 0 0 0 0
    3788 56 0 0 0 0 0 0
    eth0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

    [root@localhost ]# cat /proc/interrupts
    CPU0
    0: 55393 XT-PIC timer
    1: 776 XT-PIC keyboard
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    3: 2 XT-PIC xirc2ps_cs
    5: 2 XT-PIC ESS Solo1
    8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
    9: 12 XT-PIC O2 Micro, Inc. 6832, O2 Micro, Inc.
    6832 (#2)
    10: 0 XT-PIC usb-ohci
    12: 16729 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
    14: 7927 XT-PIC ide0
    15: 2845 XT-PIC ide1
    NMI: 0
    ERR: 0

  2. Re: getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad

    Hi,

    Eric wrote:
    > Hi, I'm a linux novice. I have RedHat 7.2 n an oldish Thinkpad
    > i-series
    > laptop and I can't get this Ethernet PC card to work, anyone can help?
    > thanks in advance.
    >
    > The card is a Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card.
    > It is indicated as supported on the Linux Ethernet Howto.
    > The part number is 292808-001. On top of the card there is also the
    > number 292811-001, and on the back 292811-002.
    >
    > Upon booting the system beeps and seems to recognize the card.
    > In the Network configuration program I tried to initialize the card
    > but no Compaq card is listed. What do I need to do?

    Your card is compatible to some xircom cards (-> driver is xirc2ps_cs)
    Try selecting one of "Xircom CreditCard CE" or "RE"-Series.

    > This is in the output of dmesg:
    > eth0: Compaq: port 0x300, irq 3, hwaddr 00:80:5F8:F1:5F
    >
    > Also, some other ouptput:
    >
    > [root@localhost]# cat /proc/net/dev
    > Inter-| Receive |
    > Transmit
    > face |bytes packets errs drop fifo frame compressed
    > multicast|bytes packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
    > lo: 3788 56 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > 3788 56 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > eth0: 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    > 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    >

    > [root@localhost ]# cat /proc/interrupts
    > CPU0
    > 0: 55393 XT-PIC timer
    > 1: 776 XT-PIC keyboard
    > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    > 3: 2 XT-PIC xirc2ps_cs
    > 5: 2 XT-PIC ESS Solo1
    > 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc
    > 9: 12 XT-PIC O2 Micro, Inc. 6832, O2 Micro, Inc.
    > 6832 (#2)
    > 10: 0 XT-PIC usb-ohci
    > 12: 16729 XT-PIC PS/2 Mouse
    > 14: 7927 XT-PIC ide0
    > 15: 2845 XT-PIC ide1
    > NMI: 0
    > ERR: 0

    CU,
    Lothar

  3. Re: getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad

    Eric wrote:

    > Upon booting the system beeps and seems to recognize the card.
    > In the Network configuration program I tried to initialize the card
    > but no Compaq card is listed. What do I need to do?

    The PCMCIA-HOWTO says, for Red Hat, that you can leave this blank; no
    PCMCIA cards are listed and the right driver has already been loaded
    for you automatically. Just fill in the rest of your network
    configuration.

    -- Dave

  4. Re: getting Compaq Netelligent 10/100 PC Card to work on Thinkpad

    dhinds@sonic.net wrote in message news:<15dxb.8119$Wy2.152527@typhoon.sonic.net>...
    > Eric wrote:
    >
    > > Upon booting the system beeps and seems to recognize the card.
    > > In the Network configuration program I tried to initialize the card
    > > but no Compaq card is listed. What do I need to do?

    > The PCMCIA-HOWTO says, for Red Hat, that you can leave this blank; no
    > PCMCIA cards are listed and the right driver has already been loaded
    > for you automatically. Just fill in the rest of your network
    > configuration.
    >
    > -- Dave

    Hi. I'm not sure what/where I need to fill in? I'm trying to connect
    through a DSL line. BTW, under Windows it works fine and I didn't have to set
    anything.
    Thanks,
    Eric

+ Reply to Thread