Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 keyboard & mouse not responding - Portable

This is a discussion on Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 keyboard & mouse not responding - Portable ; Hi. I have reason to believe that I made a very big and costly mistake. If I sound vague in my description of the problem then the reason for that is I really don't understand what the problem is. I've ...

  1. Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 keyboard & mouse not responding

    Hi. I have reason to believe that I made a very big
    and costly mistake. If I sound vague in my description
    of the problem then the reason for that is I really
    don't understand what the problem is. I've never
    experienced something like this on a laptop before.
    I'm going by memory here so the commands and file
    contents I list might not be completely accurate so I
    apologize for any confusion beforehand. I can't access
    the laptop anymore to verify =(

    I was using SuSE 8.2 on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000
    with great success. The only problem was that the lcd
    brightness was really overbearing and straining my
    eyes. I asked for help on undernet in a linux support
    IRC channel and was told to do the following:
    % modprobe toshiba_acpi

    That command worked. Then I edited the following file
    /proc/acpi/toshiba/lcd

    The file had two lines. I don't remember the exact
    name of the second variable.
    Brightness: 7
    Maximumbrightness: 8

    I changed the first line "Brightness: 7" to 4. That
    worked too and I used that for a couple days. In fact
    for several days without any problems whatsoever. Then
    one day after changing the value to 4, I changed it to
    2. That dimmed the lcd a bit more and I proceeded to
    do some work when after a few seconds or minutes the
    laptop locked up. Windowmaker, X, the keyboard or
    mouse were not responding. I powered down the laptop
    using the on/off button. When I powered it back up the
    grub bootloader screen was displayed but the keyboard
    was not responding. It selected the default boot
    selection after the timeout period and booted Windows
    2000 where the keyboard and mouse were not working. I
    plugged in a USB mouse and then I could use the mouse
    that way. Still no keyboard. I'm going to buy a USB
    keyboard to test if that works.

    When this laptop boots up it is possible to type F12
    before the grub boot menu loads. Doing that gives the
    option to boot from cdrom, floppy, hard drive, network.
    I can type F12 but after that it won't let me choose
    anything else. Same thing if I try to go to the BIOS.
    If I type ESC before grub loads it says:
    "Check system and then press F1 to enter BIOS". Usually
    typing F1 after that message would let me configure the
    bios but it won't respond if I type F1 after ESC.

    This is where it gets even more weird. Once in a blue
    moon the keyboard and onboard mouse work and I am able
    to boot into either Windows or Linux and issue commands.
    But only for a few minutes after which the keyboard &
    mouse stop responding again. When this happened I was
    able to boot from CD and flashed the bios[1] hoping that
    would solve the problem but it didn't. I might be
    speculating since the laptop isn't usable for long
    periods of time but I think the fan isn't working
    perfectly either. It turns on sometimes but other times
    it feels like the laptop is getting too hot so I turn it
    off quickly.

    Can someone who is familiar with this laptop or has
    general knowledge about linux on laptop please give me
    some insight as to what is taking place? If I have made
    a big mistake then I would like to know what so I can
    learn from it. Thank you for reading this long post.

    [1]This is the bios utility I used:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ngdgll.0&ct=DL

  2. Re: Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 keyboard & mouse not responding

    I forgot to mention that there were times when even the grub
    boot menu screen wouldn't show up. The laptop would just stop
    booting up and stall with a blank screen after showing the
    Toshiba logo. I would wait a couple of hours before powering
    it back on and then it would display the boot menu and proceed
    with booting an operating system.

    During all this time the "Fn" key always works. When I press
    it the green LED indicating that the Fn key has been pressed
    lights up. That one works even when all the other keys are not
    responding.

    The laptop's performance seems to have been affected too. It
    boots up pretty slowly compared to how it used to before. Is
    this a sign of overheating?

+ Reply to Thread