pcmcia: newbie installation problems - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia: newbie installation problems - Portable ; Hello. I am attempting to install and compile the new PCMCIA driver distribution TAR file in a P133 notebook under RedHat Linux v7.1 (the reason being my Cirrus PD6729 bridge was not supported under RHv7.1). I attempted to follow the ...

  1. pcmcia: newbie installation problems

    Hello. I am attempting to install and compile the new PCMCIA driver
    distribution TAR file in a P133 notebook under RedHat Linux v7.1 (the
    reason being my Cirrus PD6729 bridge was not supported under RHv7.1).

    I attempted to follow the instructions in the PCMCIA HOWTO chapter 2.2
    "Installation", without success. Here are my uncertainties:

    1) I unpacked the pcmcia drivers tar file no problems

    2) I ran "make config", but it asked for the directory where the Linux
    source was. I discovered that RH 7.1 did not put the kernel source on
    my system, so I unpacked the only kernel source file I could find on
    my RH7.1 distribution CD's (kernel-2.4.2-2.src.rpm). This got unpacked
    into the strange directory "/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES"

    3) I reran "make config" but still got the same error saying the
    kernel source files were invalid.

    4) later in chapter 2.2 of the PCMCIA HOWTO it talks about the
    "Configure script". How does that fit into the sequence of
    - make config
    - make all
    - make install

    ??

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks...Larry Gagnon

    ***************
    remove "fake" from email address

  2. Re: pcmcia: newbie installation problems

    Larry Gagnon wrote:

    > 2) I ran "make config", but it asked for the directory where the Linux
    > source was. I discovered that RH 7.1 did not put the kernel source on
    > my system, so I unpacked the only kernel source file I could find on
    > my RH7.1 distribution CD's (kernel-2.4.2-2.src.rpm). This got unpacked
    > into the strange directory "/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES"

    Wrong move. Read the section of the PCMCIA-HOWTO that talks about Red
    Hat and then find the kernel-source-2.4.2-2.rpm package.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread