Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop - Portable ; Hi Installation of Mandrake 9.2 freezes from ISO images (md5sum is OK and it works on other computers). The last message is often ''hda : IDE attached disk drive" and i just have to reboot ! My configuration : Sony ...

  1. Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop

    Hi

    Installation of Mandrake 9.2 freezes from ISO images (md5sum is OK and it
    works on other computers). The last message is often ''hda : IDE attached
    disk drive" and i just have to reboot !

    My configuration :

    Sony PCG GRT 815 M (recently bought)
    Pentium 4 2.8 MHz
    HD 80 Go (Two partitions : 10 Go with XP Family, 70 Go clear)
    CD - DVD RW
    512 Ko Ram
    NVidia GeForce 5600
    Memory Stick port
    No floppy drive

    I've got no idea to solve this problem.
    Thank you for your help.

  2. Re: Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:40:44 +0100, AlphaZeta wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Installation of Mandrake 9.2 freezes from ISO images (md5sum is OK and it
    > works on other computers). The last message is often ''hda : IDE attached
    > disk drive" and i just have to reboot !
    >
    > My configuration :
    >
    > Sony PCG GRT 815 M (recently bought)
    > Pentium 4 2.8 MHz
    > HD 80 Go (Two partitions : 10 Go with XP Family, 70 Go clear)
    > CD - DVD RW
    > 512 Ko Ram
    > NVidia GeForce 5600
    > Memory Stick port
    > No floppy drive
    >
    > I've got no idea to solve this problem.
    > Thank you for your help.

    When does it freeze. Is this during the install or when you try to boot
    the installed system?

    Also are the CDROMs from a boxed set or did you burn them from an ISO or
    buy them from Linux Central or CheapBytes? CD-Rs can be fine on one system
    and not on another.

  3. Re: Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop

    "B. Joshua Rosen" a écrit dans le message de
    newsan.2003.11.25.00.02.53.941876@polybus.com...

    > When does it freeze. Is this during the install or when you try to boot
    > the installed system?

    During the install.

    > Also are the CDROMs from a boxed set or did you burn them from an ISO or
    > buy them from Linux Central or CheapBytes? CD-Rs can be fine on one system
    > and not on another.

    Thank you but i've just solved the problem : i had to use the noacpi
    parameter in
    expert mode.
    Another question :
    How can i format a FAT32 partition from Mandrake ? It seems impossible from
    Win XP.

    Alphazeta.

  4. Re: Mandrake 9.2 freezes on Sony laptop

    AlphaZeta ´£¨ì:
    > "B. Joshua Rosen" a écrit dans le message de
    > newsan.2003.11.25.00.02.53.941876@polybus.com...
    >
    >>When does it freeze. Is this during the install or when you try to boot
    >>the installed system?

    > During the install.
    >

    >>Also are the CDROMs from a boxed set or did you burn them from an ISO or
    >>buy them from Linux Central or CheapBytes? CD-Rs can be fine on one system
    >>and not on another.

    > Thank you but i've just solved the problem : i had to use the noacpi
    > parameter in
    > expert mode.
    > Another question :
    > How can i format a FAT32 partition from Mandrake ? It seems impossible from
    > Win XP.
    >
    > Alphazeta.

    the command I forgot, may be
    mkfs -t fat32 /dev/hda5