PCMCIA card with USB connectors? - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA card with USB connectors? - Portable ; hi the usb port on my laptop just broke, i plan to get a PCMCIA-card with USB-ports, so i ask, has anyone successfully installed a USB PCMCIA card on linux (preferably fedora)? what brand and model was it? many thanks ...

  1. PCMCIA card with USB connectors?

    hi
    the usb port on my laptop just broke, i plan to get a PCMCIA-card with
    USB-ports, so i ask, has anyone successfully installed a USB PCMCIA card
    on linux (preferably fedora)?
    what brand and model was it?

    many thanks
    sig

  2. Re: PCMCIA card with USB connectors?

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:35:27 +0100
    stig <_nospam_stigerikson@yahoo.se> wrote:
    > the usb port on my laptop just broke, i plan to get a PCMCIA-card with
    > USB-ports, so i ask, has anyone successfully installed a USB PCMCIA
    > card on linux (preferably fedora)?
    > what brand and model was it?

    hi stig,
    I got a no name usb2.0 card working with my dell inspiron 4000, but I'm
    using the beta kernel 2.6.0. it seems not to work with vanilla 2.4.2x,
    since its usb 2.0, and i needed the wlan-config (no pcmcia-modules from
    the kernel, but pcmcia-cs package), which didn't support usb2.0.

    I don't know if redhat / fedora backported some features, but maybe you
    are lucky.

    i guess the chipsets in pcmcia-usb-controllers are so generic that the
    manufacturer of the card shouldn't be much of a point.

    hope that helped,

    jan

  3. Re: PCMCIA card with USB connectors?

    Jan Schenk wrote:
    > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:35:27 +0100
    > stig <_nospam_stigerikson@yahoo.se> wrote:
    >
    >>the usb port on my laptop just broke, i plan to get a PCMCIA-card with
    >>USB-ports, so i ask, has anyone successfully installed a USB PCMCIA
    >>card on linux (preferably fedora)?
    >>what brand and model was it?

    > hi stig,
    > I got a no name usb2.0 card working with my dell inspiron 4000, but I'm
    > using the beta kernel 2.6.0. it seems not to work with vanilla 2.4.2x,
    > since its usb 2.0, and i needed the wlan-config (no pcmcia-modules from
    > the kernel, but pcmcia-cs package), which didn't support usb2.0.
    >
    > I don't know if redhat / fedora backported some features, but maybe you
    > are lucky.
    >
    > i guess the chipsets in pcmcia-usb-controllers are so generic that the
    > manufacturer of the card shouldn't be much of a point.
    >
    > hope that helped,
    >
    > jan

    thanks for the answer.
    do you think that the 2.4.22 kernel can handle USB 1.1 pcmcia-usb
    controllers?

    the pcmcia-cs package, where can i find more info?

    stig

  4. Re: PCMCIA card with USB connectors?

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:34:33 +0100
    stig <_nospam_stigerikson@yahoo.se> wrote:

    > Jan Schenk wrote:
    > > On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:35:27 +0100
    > > stig <_nospam_stigerikson@yahoo.se> wrote:
    > >
    > >>the usb port on my laptop just broke, i plan to get a PCMCIA-card

    > >with>USB-ports, so i ask, has anyone successfully installed a USB
    > >PCMCIA>card on linux (preferably fedora)?
    > >>what brand and model was it?

    > > hi stig,
    > > I got a no name usb2.0 card working with my dell inspiron 4000, but
    > > I'm using the beta kernel 2.6.0. it seems not to work with vanilla
    > > 2.4.2x, since its usb 2.0, and i needed the wlan-config (no
    > > pcmcia-modules from the kernel, but pcmcia-cs package), which didn't
    > > support usb2.0.
    > >
    > > I don't know if redhat / fedora backported some features, but maybe
    > > you are lucky.
    > >
    > > i guess the chipsets in pcmcia-usb-controllers are so generic that
    > > the manufacturer of the card shouldn't be much of a point.
    > >
    > > hope that helped,
    > >
    > > jan
    > >

    > thanks for the answer.
    > do you think that the 2.4.22 kernel can handle USB 1.1 pcmcia-usb
    > controllers?

    I'm sure it does as long as you don't need wlan. But I cannot give you
    further instructions on how to do it, since i never tried it with a
    2.4.x kernel.

    > the pcmcia-cs package, where can i find more info?

    there should be something about it on the linux documentation project
    www.tldp.org or try googling for it...

    greetz,
    jan

+ Reply to Thread