pcmcia: ds: no socket driver loaded! ? Help - Portable

This is a discussion on pcmcia: ds: no socket driver loaded! ? Help - Portable ; I have recently installed RedHat Linux v7.1, Kernel 2.4.2. on a Canon 490CDT older notebook (Pentium 133, 32M ram). All works fine except the pcmcia cards. According to Windows 95 the PCMIA socket is a Cirrus Logic PCIC compatible, hardware ...

  1. pcmcia: ds: no socket driver loaded! ? Help

    I have recently installed RedHat Linux v7.1, Kernel 2.4.2. on a Canon
    490CDT older notebook (Pentium 133, 32M ram). All works fine except
    the pcmcia cards. According to Windows 95 the PCMIA socket is a Cirrus
    Logic PCIC compatible, hardware version 254, I/O at FCFC-FCFF.

    Linux bootup messages and dmesg give:

    "Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.22
    Intel PCIC probe: not found.
    ds: no socket drivers loaded!".

    cardctl ident says "no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices", however lsmod
    shows "pcmcia_core" of 43456 bytes and probe tells me:

    "PCI Bridge probe: Cirrus D6729 found, 2 sockets.".

    I have checked my startup options in the PCMCIA startup script and
    they are PCMCIA "yes" and PCIC "i82365", no PCIC_OPTS.

    I tried setting PCIC_OPTS to "wakeup=1" to no avail.

    Have read through the PCMCIA HOWTO but am uncertain as to what to try
    next as I am a Linux novice. Any assistance/suggestions greatly
    apreciated. Thanks.

    Larry Gagnon

    ***************
    remove "fake" from email address

  2. Re: pcmcia: ds: no socket driver loaded! ? Help

    Larry Gagnon wrote:
    > I have recently installed RedHat Linux v7.1, Kernel 2.4.2. on a Canon
    > 490CDT older notebook (Pentium 133, 32M ram). All works fine except
    > the pcmcia cards. According to Windows 95 the PCMIA socket is a Cirrus
    > Logic PCIC compatible, hardware version 254, I/O at FCFC-FCFF.

    > Linux bootup messages and dmesg give:

    > "Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.1.22
    > Intel PCIC probe: not found.
    > ds: no socket drivers loaded!".

    > cardctl ident says "no pcmcia driver in /proc/devices", however lsmod
    > shows "pcmcia_core" of 43456 bytes and probe tells me:

    > "PCI Bridge probe: Cirrus D6729 found, 2 sockets.".

    This distribution (RH 7.1) does not support the Cirrus PD6729 bridge.

    You can either install an older (yes older) distribution like 6.2, or
    install a current pcmcia-cs driver package (use Configure --force to
    force it to install drivers on top of your existing ones)

    -- Dave

  3. Re: pcmcia: ds: no socket driver loaded! ? Help

    Excellent reply from the guru himself. Thanks a million...

    Larry

    On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 08:29:40 GMT, dhinds@sonic.net wrote:

    >You can either install an older (yes older) distribution like 6.2, or
    >install a current pcmcia-cs driver package (use Configure --force to
    >force it to install drivers on top of your existing ones)
    >
    >-- Dave

    remove "fake" from email address

+ Reply to Thread