Red Hat Linux 9 on HP Pavilion zt1145 - Portable

This is a discussion on Red Hat Linux 9 on HP Pavilion zt1145 - Portable ; Hi everyone! Last week a friend of mine installed this version of linux on the aforementioned laptop. He used to have Red Hat 8.0 running OK but after a big crash, X server wouldnt work so we thought that installing ...

  1. Red Hat Linux 9 on HP Pavilion zt1145

    Hi everyone!
    Last week a friend of mine installed this version of linux on the
    aforementioned laptop. He used to have Red Hat 8.0 running OK but
    after a big crash, X server wouldnt work so we thought that installing
    Red Hat 9 from scratch would be a good idea. The installation was
    flawless but now, with no apparent reason, the laptop freezes
    completely at random.
    Has anyone ever experienced any similar problems with the same laptop?
    Could it be an ACPI or another background process related problem?
    I suppose that since 8.0 would run fine there shouldn't be an
    incompatibility issue causing the trouble.
    If it cannot be solved would you recommend rolling back to Red Hat 8.0
    or should we give Mandrake 9.2 a try?
    Cheers!

  2. Re: Red Hat Linux 9 on HP Pavilion zt1145

    S.Georgoulas@eim.surrey.ac.uk (Stelios Georgoulas) wrote in message news:<63b364a2.0311181022.ba5e764@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi everyone!
    > Last week a friend of mine installed this version of linux on the
    > aforementioned laptop. He used to have Red Hat 8.0 running OK but
    > after a big crash, X server wouldnt work so we thought that installing
    > Red Hat 9 from scratch would be a good idea. The installation was
    > flawless but now, with no apparent reason, the laptop freezes
    > completely at random.
    > Has anyone ever experienced any similar problems with the same laptop?
    > Could it be an ACPI or another background process related problem?
    > I suppose that since 8.0 would run fine there shouldn't be an
    > incompatibility issue causing the trouble.
    > If it cannot be solved would you recommend rolling back to Red Hat 8.0
    > or should we give Mandrake 9.2 a try?
    > Cheers!

    Go for Mandrake.

+ Reply to Thread