acpi fan control on HP ze4500 - Portable

This is a discussion on acpi fan control on HP ze4500 - Portable ; I have an HP ze4500 pavilion notebook, running MDK 9.2. I seem to have gotten ACPI running. The fan is much quieter, and what comes out is not nearly as hot. Is there a way to exert finer control of ...

  1. acpi fan control on HP ze4500

    I have an HP ze4500 pavilion notebook, running MDK 9.2.

    I seem to have gotten ACPI running.

    The fan is much quieter, and what comes out is not nearly as hot.

    Is there a way to exert finer control of the fan? When I boot into windows,
    sometimes the fan shuts down completely. Right now, while the fan is much
    quieter than it used to be, it still runs. (I'm concerned about battery
    usage, not noise.)

    TIA,

  2. Re: acpi fan control on HP ze4500

    What steps did you take to get ACPI running?

    "sinister" wrote in message
    > I have an HP ze4500 pavilion notebook, running MDK 9.2.
    >
    > I seem to have gotten ACPI running.
    >
    > The fan is much quieter, and what comes out is not nearly as hot.
    >
    > Is there a way to exert finer control of the fan? When I boot into

    windows,
    > sometimes the fan shuts down completely. Right now, while the fan is much
    > quieter than it used to be, it still runs. (I'm concerned about battery
    > usage, not noise.)
    >
    > TIA,

  3. Re: acpi fan control on HP ze4500

    "John Smith" wrote in message
    news:7twub.122461$ZC4.49310@twister.nyroc.rr.com.. .
    > What steps did you take to get ACPI running?

    In a nutshell:
    (1) Installed acpi, acpid with rpmdrake (used installation CD-ROM)

    (2) Found list of modules in /lib/modules/2.4.22-10mdk/kernel/drivers/acpi
    and added names of these to /etc/modules, omitting the ".o.gz"

    > "sinister" wrote in message
    > > I have an HP ze4500 pavilion notebook, running MDK 9.2.
    > >
    > > I seem to have gotten ACPI running.
    > >
    > > The fan is much quieter, and what comes out is not nearly as hot.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to exert finer control of the fan? When I boot into

    > windows,
    > > sometimes the fan shuts down completely. Right now, while the fan is

    much
    > > quieter than it used to be, it still runs. (I'm concerned about battery
    > > usage, not noise.)
    > >
    > > TIA,

+ Reply to Thread