usb hd - Portable

This is a discussion on usb hd - Portable ; I am running mandrake on my hp laptop, however being a laptop i lack storage space. I would like to use an external usb hard drive but am not sure of the config if any i need. i tried just ...

  1. usb hd

    I am running mandrake on my hp laptop,
    however being a laptop i lack storage space.
    I would like to use an external usb hard drive
    but am not sure of the config if any i need.
    i tried just pluging it in but no luck.
    what do i need to do to see it this device lists
    drivers for all wndows 95 and up as well as os8 through X.

  2. Re: usb hd

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:51:42 GMT, steve staggered into the Black Sun and
    said:
    > I am running mandrake on my hp laptop

    Which version of Mandrake? What's the output of "uname -a"?

    > however being a laptop i lack storage space.

    If you're a laptop, I think you have more problems than how large your
    disk is. You can ask your owner to buy a new 2.5" hard disk and install
    it; most x86 laptops use this form factor and it's a 5-minute job on
    most of those (unlike an iBook; the human has to disassemble practically
    everything to replace a drive and it can take hours.) Remember that
    USB1 drives are really slow and may frustrate your human.

    > I would like to use an external usb hard drive but am not sure of the
    > config if any i need. i tried just pluging it in but no luck.

    modprobe ehci-hcd (iff you have USB2 available)
    modprobe usb-uhci (or usb-ohci, depending)
    modprobe usb-storage
    (turn drive on if it has a power supply, plug drive in)
    cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    (you should see the USB disk in there, if not, post the output of
    "dmesg | tail -30" that relates to the USB subsystem; if you see "device
    0F00:BARF was not claimed by any active driver", first thing to try is a
    kernel upgrade; latest stable version is 2.4.22)
    cfdisk /dev/sda
    (if necessary, many USB storage devices come preformatted with one large
    partition with FAT32 on it)
    mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere

    ....and everything should work. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: usb hd

    Dances With Crows wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:51:42 GMT, Steve staggered into the Black Sun and
    > said:
    >> I am running mandrake on my hp laptop

    > Which version of Mandrake? What's the output of "uname -a"?
    >
    >> however being a laptop i lack storage space.

    > If you're a laptop, I think you have more problems than how large your
    > disk is. You can ask your owner to buy a new 2.5" hard disk and install
    > it; most x86 laptops use this form factor and it's a 5-minute job on
    > most of those (unlike an iBook; the human has to disassemble practically
    > everything to replace a drive and it can take hours.) Remember that
    > USB1 drives are really slow and may frustrate your human.
    >
    >> I would like to use an external usb hard drive but am not sure of the
    >> config if any i need. i tried just plugging it in but no luck.

    > modprobe ehci-hcd (iff you have USB2 available)
    > modprobe usb-uhci (or usb-ohci, depending)
    > modprobe usb-storage
    > (turn drive on if it has a power supply, plug drive in)
    > cat /proc/scsi/scsi
    > (you should see the USB disk in there, if not, post the output of
    > "dmesg | tail -30" that relates to the USB subsystem; if you see "device
    > 0F00:BARF was not claimed by any active driver", first thing to try is a
    > kernel upgrade; latest stable version is 2.4.22)
    > cfdisk /dev/sda
    > (if necessary, many USB storage devices come preformatted with one large
    > partition with FAT32 on it)
    > mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere
    >
    > ...and everything should work. HTH,

    sick but funny lol.

    I was writing at work and didn't have much time. Forgive the wording. Anyway
    I have mandrake 9.1 and I have a 30 gig hd but I need a storage area for
    vids. I work in a computer shop and can get the external case for cheap and
    have a few unused (for now) 60 gig drives and hot swapper bays. I just
    happen to be the only linux geek around these parts. Every buddy else
    including the owner of the company is a windoze lamer. I had a ext usb 2.0
    drive up and working but had a err minor problem and all my data went out
    thanks to a prob with the small but annoying windoze partition on my hd.
    Now I cannot get it to recognize any usb storage.

+ Reply to Thread