I am running Red Hat 9 on a Dell Latitude C840 laptop with a 1400x1050
display, NVidia GeForce 4 (generic) built-in card and 32 MB video
memory. Everything including X, Gnome, etc, works very well, but there
are a couple of things I just don't understand having to do with various
ways of suspending and resuming. (I have NOT installed proprietary
Nvidia drivers because I felt no need to since the included drivers work
fine. Everything is right out of the Red Hat box with kernel 2.4.20-8.

Here is what I observe:

Scenario 1.
Using Fn + Esc(suspend) the machine shuts off nicely. THEN I close the
lid and there is brief CPU and disk activity as indicated by the LEDs.
When I next open the lid, the fans run at full tilt and the CPU is in
slow mode, but everything on the screen is just as it was when I
suspended. Pressing Fn + Z restores the fans and CPU to normal.
Everything is then normal and I can continue working.

Scenario 2. Same as 1, except I close the lid WHILE the suspend is
happening, i.e. before the final shutdown. In this case, when I next
open the lid, the fans and CPU are NORMAL. No need to hit Fn + Z. The
screen is just as it was when I suspended.

Scenario 3.
I close the lid without using the suspend sequence (Fn + ESC). In this
case, when I reopen the lid, the screen is scrambled: the top and bottom
halves are interchanged, and the horizontal width is 2 times normal. If
I switch to another VT (CTRL + ALT + F6) I get a normal VT. And if I
switch back to the original VT, the screen has corrected itself and
everything is normal again.

I am curious as to what the explanation is for these behaviors.
How much of what happens is done by the BIOS, and how much by the kernel?
Can someone explain just what is happening in each case.

Thanks.

-Al Schapira