Random sound problem on Latitude D600 - Portable

This is a discussion on Random sound problem on Latitude D600 - Portable ; I'm having wierd, random problem with sound on my Dell Latitude D600. Everyonce in a while, I get the following error after logging in to KDE: Sound server informational message: Error while initializing the sound driver: can't set requested samplingrate ...

  1. Random sound problem on Latitude D600

    I'm having wierd, random problem with sound on my Dell Latitude D600.
    Everyonce in a while, I get the following error after logging in to KDE:

    Sound server informational message:
    Error while initializing the sound driver:
    can't set requested samplingrate (requested rate 44100, got rate 11906)
    The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

    Now, I've noticed this only happens when I'm not on AC power, but not
    all the times. Often, if I reboot after getting this message, it comes
    back up fine.

    I'm using the 2.4.22 kernel with the ac4 patch on RH9. I compiled in
    all the ACPI support. Here's the output from dmesg:

    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 09:12:48 Oct 26 2003
    PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
    i810: Intel ICH4 found at IO 0xbc40 and 0xb800, MEM 0xf4fff800 and
    0xf4fff400, I
    RQ 11
    i810: Intel ICH4 mmio at 0xe2daf800 and 0xe2db1400
    i810_audio: Primary codec has ID 0
    i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
    i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
    i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
    i810_audio: Connection 0 with codec id 0
    ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7650 (Unknown)
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2

    dmesg reports the same thing when the sound works as when it doesn't
    work. Anyone have any ideas?

    Brandon

  2. Re: Random sound problem on Latitude D600

    Brandon Keepers wrote:

    > I'm having wierd, random problem with sound on my Dell Latitude D600.
    > Everyonce in a while, I get the following error after logging in to KDE:
    >
    > Sound server informational message:
    > Error while initializing the sound driver:
    > can't set requested samplingrate (requested rate 44100, got rate 11906)
    > The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
    >
    > Now, I've noticed this only happens when I'm not on AC power, but not
    > all the times. Often, if I reboot after getting this message, it comes
    > back up fine.
    >
    > I'm using the 2.4.22 kernel with the ac4 patch on RH9. I compiled in
    > all the ACPI support. Here's the output from dmesg:

    > Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 09:12:48 Oct 26 2003
    > PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
    > i810: Intel ICH4 found at IO 0xbc40 and 0xb800, MEM 0xf4fff800 and
    > 0xf4fff400, I
    > RQ 11
    > i810: Intel ICH4 mmio at 0xe2daf800 and 0xe2db1400
    > i810_audio: Primary codec has ID 0
    > i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
    > i810_audio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
    > i810_audio: Resetting connection 0
    > i810_audio: Connection 0 with codec id 0
    > ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7650 (Unknown)
    > i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 supports AMAP, total channels = 2
    >
    > dmesg reports the same thing when the sound works as when it doesn't
    > work. Anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > Brandon

    Try our commercial OSS drivers - a free trial version is at http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi
    and it should have no problems. However we would be interested in noting if our drivers fail
    the same way - it's usually something to do with ACPI bios - disable ACPI bios while booting and
    perhaps it may work.

    best regards
    Dev Mazumdar

  3. Re: Random sound problem on Latitude D600

    > Alright, point well taken. We wanted to just alert you to the fact that
    > commercial
    > drivers exist. Maybe some people don't know about OSS.
    >
    > The actual solution to your problem maybe to check KDE's artsd and set the
    > server sampling rate to 48000. Now restart X (or logout and log back in)
    > and
    > see if you still have problems.
    >
    > The fact that you are getting audio, implies that the OSS/Free drivers
    > are working
    > fine. If ACPI was an issue you won't be getting interrupts.
    >
    > And FYI, we're not only about commercial proprietary crap. You should
    > take a look
    > at the copyrights for XMMS sometime (heck go to www.xmms.org)!
    >

    > Best regards
    > Dev

    My appologies for being so rude, but I think you understand. Thank you
    for the suggestions. I will give it a try.

+ Reply to Thread