Dell Latitude CPx with Quake 3 - Portable

This is a discussion on Dell Latitude CPx with Quake 3 - Portable ; I've installed Slackware 9.1 on my machine and am running Fluxbox for a WM.. When I ran the XF86Config it automatically detected my monitor settings and video card. It's a Rage Mobility with 8mb.. My Problem is I cannot get ...

  1. Dell Latitude CPx with Quake 3

    I've installed Slackware 9.1 on my machine and am running Fluxbox for a WM..
    When I ran the XF86Config it automatically detected my monitor settings
    and video card. It's a Rage Mobility with 8mb.. My Problem is I cannot get
    Quake 3 to run at a good speed at all. It's extremely slow. I'm not sure
    what settings or drivers I might need to download? I bought the linux
    version at the store its by Loki.. Anyone had any problems like this?

  2. Re: Dell Latitude CPx with Quake 3

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:43:31 -0500, Guy Lyons II staggered into the
    Black Sun and said:
    > I've installed Slackware 9.1 on my machine and am running Fluxbox for
    > a WM.. When I ran the XF86Config it automatically detected my monitor
    > settings and video card. It's a Rage Mobility with 8mb.. My Problem is
    > I cannot get Quake 3 to run at a good speed at all.

    Is the card's chipset Mach64 or Rage128? If it's Rage128, you need to
    be using the "r128" X module, and you need to have the r128 and agpgart
    kernel modules loaded. You also need to have the lines

    Load "GLcore"
    Load "dri"
    Load "glx"

    ....in the Modules section of your /etc/X11/XF86Config , and you probably
    want the lines

    Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
    EndSection

    ....in your XF86Config file somewhere.

    Once that's done and you've restarted X, you should see "direct
    rendering : yes" in the output of "glxinfo". That should help with
    speed problems with anything that uses OpenGL. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Dell Latitude CPx with Quake 3

    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "ati"
    VendorName "ATI"
    BoardName "Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x"
    ChipSet "ati"
    ChipId 0x4c4d
    ChipRev 0x64

    thats what it says on my config.. i;ve added the lines you mentioned..
    hopefully that'll work.

+ Reply to Thread