[ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts! - Portable

This is a discussion on [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts! - Portable ; Shell scripts are very powerful tools for UNIX development. Due to the fact that they are interpreted, they are easy to develop, inspect, debug and document. But this convenience comes at high price - the threat of intellectual property theft. ...

  1. [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts!

    Shell scripts are very powerful tools for UNIX development. Due to the
    fact
    that they are interpreted, they are easy to develop, inspect, debug
    and
    document. But this convenience comes at high price - the threat of
    intellectual
    property theft.

    In today's competitive environment, anyone can inspect and change your
    elaborately crafted scripts. It is possible and easy for a competitor
    to mimic
    your work, if not copy outright, without your permission. Furthermore,
    unskilled customers or employees may modify installed scripts creating
    hard-to-find bugs, increasing your support costs. For companies that
    use shell
    scripts in commercial products, these annoying issues are becoming a
    major
    headache.

    To address this problem we have created Shell Protector(tm).

    Get get more information and purchase Shell Protector(tm) please go
    to:
    http://www.bungisoft.com/html/produc...llprotect.html

    Shell Protector's(tm) main purpose is to protect your shell scripts
    from
    modification or inspection. You can use it if you wish to distribute
    your
    scripts but don't want them to be easily readable by other people.

    Shell Protector(tm) itself is not a compiler such as cc. It rather
    encodes and
    encrypts a shell script, together with the appropriate shell. The
    final result
    is a stripped binary which behaves exactly like the original script.
    Upon
    execution, the compiled binary will decrypt and execute the code using
    the
    encoded shell.

    The following is the most prominent features of the Shell
    Protector(tm):

    * Protects sources

    Shell scripts can contain a considerably large amount of know-how
    and
    development time. In order to protect such a valuable resource you
    should
    distribute Shell Protector(tm) produced executables instead of
    sources.

    * Allows SUID and SGID scripts

    Some systems may be configured in such a way as to ignore set user
    id and
    set group id bit when running shell scripts. Such a feature is
    indeed very
    useful at times. Although it may also create problems. To bypass
    this
    feature on per-use bases, some knowledgeable UNIX system
    administrators
    create little C programs, called wrappers, to go around this
    limitation.
    However, wrappers, if not well designed and implemented, can
    expose your
    system to some well known security vulnerabilities. Shell
    Protector(tm) is
    designed to reduce such risk to some degree, it also eliminates
    the need for
    programming know-how by system administrators.
    You can thus think of Shell Protector as the universal shell
    script wrapper.

    * Allows switch user (su) scripts

    This is one of the most interesting features of compiled shell
    scripts:
    The process can optionally gain real user id of executable owner,
    not only
    effective user id. Group set of executable owner is also set. The
    same
    effect can be obtained only by using su (switch user) command.

    * Makes sure that script runs under correct shell

    Shell versions may differ wildly from system to system. By
    packaging shell
    interpreter together with the executable Shell Protector(tm)
    provides
    extra level of platform independency for your scripts.

    * Runs under the most popular Unix/Linux platforms

    * Solaris/SunOS (SPARC)
    * Linux

    With these and other exciting features Bungisoft Shell Protector(tm)
    is a sure winner for your next project!

    Get get more information and purchase Shell Protector(tm) please go
    to:
    http://www.bungisoft.com/html/produc...llprotect.html

  2. Re: [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts!

    In comp.os.linux.security Bungisoft, Inc. wrote:
    > To address this problem we have created Shell Protector(tm).

    *ROTFL*

    The same nonsense you can get for VB-Script, now also for your
    UNIX shell scripts! Security by obscurity at it's best.

    Perhaps I will not killfile you inspite of the fact you're spamming
    here, you're too funny!

    - abuse complaint pending -
    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

  3. Re: [ANN] Protect you Unix Shell Scripts!

    Bungisoft, Inc. wrote:
    > Shell versions may differ wildly from system to system. By
    >packaging shell
    > interpreter together with the executable Shell Protector(tm)
    >provides
    > extra level of platform independency for your scripts.

    So you provide "extra platform independency (sic)" by turning a shell
    script into a binary executable?

    - awh

+ Reply to Thread