PCMCIA problem on old Compaq laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA problem on old Compaq laptop - Portable ; Hi, I have a problem with trying to get 2 pcmcia cards working in my old Compaq LTE 5200. It only has PCMCIA (16bit) and I want to use it as a firewall so I have two network cards that ...

  1. PCMCIA problem on old Compaq laptop

    Hi,

    I have a problem with trying to get 2 pcmcia cards working in my old
    Compaq LTE 5200. It only has PCMCIA (16bit) and I want to use it as a
    firewall so I have two network cards that I want to use, a 10Mbit
    generic Ne2000 and a 100/10Mbit Dlink card. The problem I have seems to
    be with the top slot of the two pcmcia slots. If I plug either card in
    the bottom slot it's fine. If I then plug the 10 Mbit in the top slot
    it's ok (most of the time) but if I plug the 100Mbit in it normally
    hangs the whole machine and I have to pull the mains out (the battery is
    dead) to reset it.

    I can't have the 100Mbit in the bottom as it has the rj45 jack attached
    to the card (ie. big bit stuck on the end), so it has to be in the top
    if I have both cards in.

    During various 'troubleshooting' I have managed a couple of times to
    have both card ins and working but then I reboot and it all goes bad again.

    Can anyone help me or give me some pointers on waht to try? Maybe some
    options on loading the pcmcia_core or ds modules? Obviously once all
    this is working I won't need to be pulling them in and out, hopefully
    they will stay in for good and only a reboot will be needed now and again.

    Cheers,
    Neil

  2. Re: PCMCIA problem on old Compaq laptop

    chesh wrote:

    > I have a problem with trying to get 2 pcmcia cards working in my old
    > Compaq LTE 5200. It only has PCMCIA (16bit) and I want to use it as a
    > firewall so I have two network cards that I want to use, a 10Mbit
    > generic Ne2000 and a 100/10Mbit Dlink card. The problem I have seems to
    > be with the top slot of the two pcmcia slots. If I plug either card in
    > the bottom slot it's fine. If I then plug the 10 Mbit in the top slot
    > it's ok (most of the time) but if I plug the 100Mbit in it normally
    > hangs the whole machine and I have to pull the mains out (the battery is
    > dead) to reset it.

    Which D-Link 10/100 card? (CardBus or 16-bit?)

    > I can't have the 100Mbit in the bottom as it has the rj45 jack attached
    > to the card (ie. big bit stuck on the end), so it has to be in the top
    > if I have both cards in.

    Can you at least plug the cards in, with no cables attached, with the
    100Mbit card on the bottom, to determine if the problem depends on
    which card is in which slot?

    How about plugging the 100 Mbit card in first, in the top slot, then
    plugging the 10 Mbit card in?

    (do you see where I'm going with this? I'm trying to determine if the
    problem is that the top slot and the 100 Mbit card do not get along,
    or if the "second inserted card", whichever it is, always fails)

    Normally an issue like this, where the second inserted card causes a
    problem, indicates an IO port or interrupt conflict. See the HOWTO
    for more information.

    -- Dave

+ Reply to Thread