PCMCIA cards not found - Portable

This is a discussion on PCMCIA cards not found - Portable ; Hi, I have a Pentium-MMX laptop with an SiS-510X... motherboard? At least that's what is displayed when I switch it on. I now want to use a PCMCIA card (a WLAN card which probably uses an RTL 8180 chip, but ...

  1. PCMCIA cards not found

    Hi,

    I have a Pentium-MMX laptop with an SiS-510X... motherboard? At least
    that's what is displayed when I switch it on.
    I now want to use a PCMCIA card (a WLAN card which probably uses an
    RTL 8180 chip, but that aside).
    I have PCMCIA support switched off in my kernel (I used to have it on
    - no difference) and WLAN support enabled, but no modules built (used
    to have drivers built as modules, but no difference either).
    Hotplugging, ISA and PCI support are on.
    PCI hotplugging support is off, though (it's marked as EXPERIMENTAL
    and I didn't think it's needed as I only want to use PCMCIA cards).
    Hotplugging service is installed and started.

    I have followed the HOWTO at
    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.p...2cbd0e41f1aa01
    as I am using Gentoo Linux and I think I've done everything correctly.

    The system recognizes my Omega Micro 82C092G pcmcia bridge and says
    something like

    "PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:0e.0. Please try
    using pci=biosirq."

    But as I read at http://www.linuxwiki.de/LinuxInterna/PcmciaAbl_e4ufe
    , this seems to be quite normal.

    However, the system simply does not get that there are cards inserted
    (not even when the card is already in at boot time).
    No beeps, nothing.
    'cardctl ident' shows nothing.
    'cardctl insert' doesn't help either.

    The problem does not only occur with that Level1 WPC-0101 WLAN card,
    but also with a Fritz! ISDN card - that's why I don't believe it's a
    problem with the card driver (I can't get any info about the cards
    inserted).

    Any help would be highly appreciated as I can get a refund for
    "working" hardware only whithin two weeks after buying it.

    Regards,

    GroennDemon

  2. Re: PCMCIA cards not found

    Marvin Massih wrote:

    > I have a Pentium-MMX laptop with an SiS-510X... motherboard? At least
    > that's what is displayed when I switch it on.
    > I now want to use a PCMCIA card (a WLAN card which probably uses an
    > RTL 8180 chip, but that aside).

    This is a CardBus (32-bit) card, I think.

    Your laptop does not support CardBus cards; it is too old. They will
    not even be detected.

    > The problem does not only occur with that Level1 WPC-0101 WLAN card,
    > but also with a Fritz! ISDN card - that's why I don't believe it's a
    > problem with the card driver (I can't get any info about the cards
    > inserted).

    I'm not sure what the problem would be with the Fritz! card. That is
    a 16-bit card, I think. Have you ever used a PCMCIA card successfully
    with this laptop, with any OS? Was either the laptop or the card
    purchased used (i.e. possibly broken)?

    -- Dave

  3. Re: PCMCIA cards not found

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    > This is a CardBus (32-bit) card, I think.

    Yes, it is.

    > Your laptop does not support CardBus cards; it is too old. They will
    > not even be detected.

    :-(

    > I'm not sure what the problem would be with the Fritz! card. That is
    > a 16-bit card, I think. Have you ever used a PCMCIA card successfully
    > with this laptop, with any OS? Was either the laptop or the card
    > purchased used (i.e. possibly broken)?

    I have to correct myself:
    It's not a Fritz! card, but a Typhoon Quick Com 56 CL PCMCIA modem.
    Anyways, it definitely worked under windows - my uncle gave the laptop
    to me and I had to set up an internet connection under Window$ :-).

    Any ideas?
    Perhaps a recommendation for a 16-bit WLAN card?
    Or is the modem 32-bit, too?

    Regards,

    Marvin

  4. Re: PCMCIA cards not found

    Marvin Massih wrote:

    > It's not a Fritz! card, but a Typhoon Quick Com 56 CL PCMCIA modem.
    > Anyways, it definitely worked under windows - my uncle gave the laptop
    > to me and I had to set up an internet connection under Window$ :-).

    > Any ideas?

    Can you show system log messages surrounding the one irq-related
    message you first posted?

    What does "cardctl status" show when the card is inserted? Does
    "cardctl insert" have any effect?

    > Perhaps a recommendation for a 16-bit WLAN card?

    I have no trouble with a Netgear MA401RA.

    > Or is the modem 32-bit, too?

    If you had it working under Windows on this laptop then apparently
    not. 32-bit cards have a gold strip with a row of sharp bumps on the
    top of the card parallel to the connector.

    -- Dave

  5. Re: PCMCIA cards not found

    Hi Dave,

    > Can you show system log messages surrounding the one irq-related
    > message you first posted?

    No longer necessary.
    I just inserted the 16-bit card, got a "beep, beep" and output from cardctl.
    Didn't try any other things, but I think that's good enough.
    Confess! You did some magic !

    > 32-bit cards have a gold strip with a row of sharp bumps on the
    > top of the card parallel to the connector.

    The WLAN card has one, the other doesn't... Good to know.
    I just bid for the card you recommended on ebay :-).

    Thanks a lot for your support.

    Regards,

    Marvin

+ Reply to Thread