acpi and fan control in presario 2100z laptop - Portable

This is a discussion on acpi and fan control in presario 2100z laptop - Portable ; hi all i havent patched my kernel with acpi. when i use linux the fans seem to run in max speed and the air that comes outis quite warm...the laptop gets quite warm even though the processor is 6% of ...

  1. acpi and fan control in presario 2100z laptop

    hi all
    i havent patched my kernel with acpi. when i use linux the fans seem to
    run in max speed and the air that comes outis quite warm...the laptop
    gets quite warm even though the processor is 6% of its peak capacity...
    is it due to the absence of acpi? it doesnt happen in win xp

    thanks
    aramjam

  2. Re: acpi and fan control in presario 2100z laptop

    aramjam wrote:
    > hi all
    > i havent patched my kernel with acpi. when i use linux the fans seem to
    > run in max speed and the air that comes outis quite warm...the laptop
    > gets quite warm even though the processor is 6% of its peak capacity...
    > is it due to the absence of acpi? it doesnt happen in win xp
    >
    > thanks
    > aramjam

    I have a similar model which also gets very warm. The fan runs at a
    medium speed all the time. What processor does your laptop have? The AMD
    Athlon can operate at 95 degrees, which explains the hot air!
    If you select "ACPI" support you will get a program called acpi which
    prints out the temperature if you type "acpi -t". KDE also has a battery
    status icon and the off switch will suspend the laptop. Not as good as
    Windows but a start
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread