I have a Thinkpad X31 with Redhat 8 dual boot with Windows XP.

I have a question about how dynamic the cpu speed scaling should
be. Right now, when I boot the laptop under battery power,
/proc/cpuinfo tells me that it is running at 600MHz ... if I boot
when connected to AC power it comes up 1.4GHz. But if I plug in
AC power after a battery powered boot, it does not seem to
change the cpu speed. The same is true for disconnecting AC power
after an AC power boot.

Shouldn't this be happening nore dynamically?
i.e., should always run max speed when AC is connected.

The bios setting seem right, set for max battery life under battery
power and max performance under AC power.

Thanks,
Terry