Centrino Laptops and Linux ? - Portable

This is a discussion on Centrino Laptops and Linux ? - Portable ; Hi, Im looking at getting a new laptop. Im still torn between getting a P4 laptop or a Centrino. It looks to me like the Centrino runs a bit slower but uses less battery power but it doesn't seem to ...

  1. Centrino Laptops and Linux ?

    Hi,

    Im looking at getting a new laptop. Im still torn between getting a P4
    laptop or a Centrino. It looks to me like the Centrino runs a bit
    slower but uses less battery power but it doesn't seem to clear cut
    from the reviews i've read (would a centrino compete with a 3.0ghz
    P4!!). Anyway I remember when the centrino's came out there was a big
    stink about no linux support, could someone let me know what the
    situation is now. Will linux even run on them, if so what works and
    what doesn't. Oh and Im not sure whether to got for an ATI 9600 M10
    chip or a Nvidia 5200 ?

    Cheers

    Steve

  2. Re: Centrino Laptops and Linux ?

    On 17 Oct 2003 14:28:25 -0700, Steve Webb staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Im looking at getting a new laptop. Im still torn between getting a P4
    > laptop or a Centrino. Anyway I remember when the centrino's came out
    > there was a big stink about no linux support, could someone let me
    > know what the situation is now. Will linux even run on them, if so
    > what works and what doesn't.

    In written English, you put a "?" at the end of an interrogative
    sentence, not a ".". People keep leaving the ? out--why is this?
    Anyway, the built-in 802.11b cards in a Centrino-chipset laptop are
    still not supported under Linux, although I Googled for "Linux Thinkpad
    X31" a week ago and found that everything else on that particular
    Centrino-chipset laptop appears to work OK. You can buy an Orinoco Gold
    802.11b PCMCIA card for roughly $60, and those work in any laptop that
    has a PCMCIA slot.

    > Oh and Im not sure whether to got for an ATI 9600 M10 chip or a Nvidia
    > 5200?

    In written English, you put a "." at the end of a declarative sentence,
    not a "?". If I were you, and I wanted to have accelerated 3D, I'd go
    for the nVidia graphics chip. All of nVidia's graphics adapters can use
    accelerated 3D with nVidia's evil binary-only X server and kernel
    module. The situation with ATi cards is a lot murkier. Most ATi Radeon
    cards have 3D support available, though it's more of a pain to get it
    working. If you don't play 3D games, pick whatever's cheapest. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Centrino Laptops and Linux ?

    Ok thanks for the info Matt. By the way I'm dyslextastical

    Steve

  4. Re: Centrino Laptops and Linux ?

    yeahh it'll run, but it won't be optimized for it that's all. i believe
    kernel 2.6, it will become compatible.

    "Steve Webb" wrote in message
    news:4dd24500.0310171328.3db3b9ff@posting.google.c om...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Im looking at getting a new laptop. Im still torn between getting a P4
    > laptop or a Centrino. It looks to me like the Centrino runs a bit
    > slower but uses less battery power but it doesn't seem to clear cut
    > from the reviews i've read (would a centrino compete with a 3.0ghz
    > P4!!). Anyway I remember when the centrino's came out there was a big
    > stink about no linux support, could someone let me know what the
    > situation is now. Will linux even run on them, if so what works and
    > what doesn't. Oh and Im not sure whether to got for an ATI 9600 M10
    > chip or a Nvidia 5200 ?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Steve

+ Reply to Thread