Suspend mode - Portable

This is a discussion on Suspend mode - Portable ; Hi all, I have ACPI support in the kernel. When i close the lid of the laptop, the screen goes off, so i assume that ACPI is working. I cannot hybernate. It seems that i need a FAT partition for ...

  1. Suspend mode

    Hi all,

    I have ACPI support in the kernel. When i close the lid of the laptop,
    the screen goes off, so i assume that ACPI is working.

    I cannot hybernate. It seems that i need a FAT partition for that.
    Planning on doing that this weekend.

    I found out that whatever i do, the harddisk keeps spinning. I want to
    make my laptop to go to sleep. Hybernate or not, i guess that if the
    laptop is suspended to RAM, the screen is off and the disk is not
    spinning anymore, i will have at least a couple of days until the
    battery runs out, no?

    How to make this happen?

    Thanks,

    Ton.

    RedHat 9 (2.4.22) on a Acer TravelMate TM281X

  2. Re: Suspend mode

    On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:

    http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  3. What's left to do... [Was: Re: Suspend mode]

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:
    >
    > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    Man, you know it all. ;-)

    I have another list of things that are still not working. :-(

    Step by step i'm getting there.....

    Here's my list:

    Internal (Win) modem:
    To test our dial-up network. Now i have to go back to Windows for that.

    Vodafone GPRS PCMCIA card:
    Won't be needed anymore soon since i'm going to have ADSL.

    Orinoco wireless (WPC11) ethernet card.

    USB2Serial adapter
    HP215 camera: Get's recognized in /proc/bus/usb, but hp215
    (http://home.nordwest.net/ebartels/li...215/index.html) won't
    communicate.

  4. Things still to figure out. [was:Re: Suspend mode]

    Oops! Was not done yet.....

    Lenard wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:
    >
    > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    Man, you know it all.

    I have another list of things that are still not working.

    Step by step i'm getting there.....

    Here's my list:

    Internal (Win) modem:
    To test our dial-up network. Now i have to go back to Windows for that.

    Vodafone GPRS PCMCIA card:
    Won't be needed anymore soon since i'm going to have ADSL.

    Orinoco wireless (WPC11) ethernet card.

    USB2Serial adapter

    HP215 camera:
    Get's recognized in /proc/bus/usb, but hp215
    (http://home.nordwest.net/ebartels/li...215/index.html) won't
    communicate.

    Hibernation:
    Have to create the FAT partition first.

    Philips Webcam:
    Seems to be recognized, but can't get it to work with gnomemeeting.

    Acer USB Scanner:
    Haven't looked into that at all yet.

    Communication with the Nokia 9210:
    I guess i can forget that one..... :-(

    That's all for now.

    So if you have a list of URL's, then i have something to do again..... ;-)

    Thanks for all so far,

    Ton.

  5. Re: Suspend mode

    Lenard wrote:

    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:
    >
    > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    Man, you know it all.

    I have another list of things that are still not working.

    Step by step i'm getting there.....

    Here's my list:

    Internal (Win) modem:
    To test our dial-up network. Now i have to go back to Windows for that.

    Vodafone GPRS PCMCIA card:
    Won't be needed anymore soon since i'm going to have ADSL.

    Orinoco wireless (WPC11) ethernet card.

    USB2Serial adapter

    HP215 camera:
    Get's recognized in /proc/bus/usb, but hp215
    (http://home.nordwest.net/ebartels/li...215/index.html) won't
    communicate.

    Hibernation:
    Have to create the FAT partition first.

    Philips Webcam:
    Seems to be recognized, but can't get it to work with gnomemeeting.

    Acer USB Scanner:
    Haven't looked into that at all yet.

    Communication with the Nokia 9210:
    I guess i can forget that one.....

    That's all for now.

    So if you have a list of URL's, then i have something to do again.....

    Thanks for all so far,

    Ton.

  6. Re: Suspend mode

    Ton Machielsen writes:

    > Lenard wrote:
    >
    > > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:
    > >
    > > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    > Man, you know it all.
    >
    > I have another list of things that are still not working.
    >
    > Step by step i'm getting there.....
    >
    > Here's my list:
    >
    > Internal (Win) modem:
    > To test our dial-up network. Now i have to go back to Windows for
    > that.

    > Orinoco wireless (WPC11) ethernet card.

    Supported AFAIK in the default kernel.

    > Hibernation:
    > Have to create the FAT partition first.

    > That's all for now.
    >
    > So if you have a list of URL's, then i have something to do again.....

  7. Re: Suspend mode

    Lenard wrote:
    > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:59:08 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:
    >
    > http://swsusp.sourceforge.net/

    So, suspend mode is working. However only in character mode. In X i get
    an error. But i'll figure that one out. No prob.

    Now i need to figure out how to suspend when i close the lid.

    Ton.

  8. Re: Suspend mode

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:43:15 +0200, Ton Machielsen typed:

    > Man, you know it all.

    Thanks for the compliment, I can only wish I did.

    > Internal (Win) modem:
    > To test our dial-up network. Now i have to go back to Windows for that.

    Some win-modems work some do not. I don't use the built-in win modem as I
    have a PCMCIA modem that works just fine. You might find help with this
    here; http://www.linmodems.org/

    > Vodafone GPRS PCMCIA card:
    > Won't be needed anymore soon since i'm going to have ADSL.

    Cool

    > Orinoco wireless (WPC11) ethernet card.

    It might use the wvlan driver( the older cards do), which means you might
    need to edit the /etc/pcmcia/config file, example below;

    card "Lucent Technologies WaveLAN/IEEE Adapter"

    manfid 0x156, 0x0002

    version "Lucent Technologies", "WaveLAN/IEEE", "Version 01.01"

    bind "wvlan_cs"

    Notice the manfid and version information for this entry. I used the
    command 'cardctl ident' to gather the information for my card. I added
    extra blank line to make reading easier and to stop word wrap.

    And in /etc/modules.conf I added the following line for the PCMCIA card;

    alias wvlan eth1

    Have a look at SANE; http://www.sane-project.org/

    > Hibernation:
    > Have to create the FAT partition first.

    Use parted (man parted) to create/format the space you need/want. It
    should already be one of the installed packages. Complete info can be
    found here; http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

    Sorry I can't help you with the rest. You might want to try google and
    checking other newsgroups and forums.

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

  9. Re: Suspend mode

    > Communication with the Nokia 9210:
    > I guess i can forget that one.....

    Try http://www.gnokii.org/