encryption key length - Portable

This is a discussion on encryption key length - Portable ; I don't seem to find a flag or setting to set the length of the encryption key. 64, 128, 256 bits, etc. Does the length of the key itself act as the flag? If not, what am I missing in ...

  1. encryption key length

    I don't seem to find a flag or setting to set the length of the encryption
    key. 64, 128, 256 bits, etc.
    Does the length of the key itself act as the flag?
    If not, what am I missing in order to preset the length?
    Thanks
    ed

  2. Re: encryption key length

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 16:45:57 GMT, eddie wrote:
    > I don't seem to find a flag or setting to set the length of the encryption
    > key. 64, 128, 256 bits, etc.
    > Does the length of the key itself act as the flag?
    > If not, what am I missing in order to preset the length?

    Yes, the length of the key determines its length. But a 64-bit key is
    actually 40 bits (10 hex digits), 128-bit key is 104 bits (26 hex digits),
    so I guess that would make a 256-bit key 232 bits. It is best to use
    actual hex keys, because manufacturers differ in how they convert ascii
    strings (password/passphrase) to hex keys [especially beyond 64(40) bit
    keys]. Not sure which cards/modules support 256(232) bit keys.

    http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
    http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

  3. Re: encryption key length

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 02:37:22 +0000, David Efflandt wrote:

    >snip
    > Yes, the length of the key determines its length. But a 64-bit key is
    > actually 40 bits (10 hex digits), 128-bit key is 104 bits (26 hex digits),
    > so I guess that would make a 256-bit key 232 bits. It is best to use
    > actual hex keys, because manufacturers differ in how they convert ascii
    > strings (password/passphrase) to hex keys [especially beyond 64(40) bit
    > keys]. Not sure which cards/modules support 256(232) bit keys.

    Thanks, that's what I thought. I knew about the "headroom" in the key.
    In Winders, you select both the key length and the actual key. I am using
    "128" but will shut off the encryption until I get the wireless card
    working and then turn the encryption on, knowing that everything else is
    working.

  4. Re: encryption key length

    eddie wrote:

    > I don't seem to find a flag or setting to set the length of the encryption
    > key. 64, 128, 256 bits, etc.
    > Does the length of the key itself act as the flag?
    > If not, what am I missing in order to preset the length?
    > Thanks
    > ed

    Well, one thing you're missing is more info, so that we know what you're
    talking about.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.