mandrake 9.2rc2 on Gateway 600ygr/port replicator - Portable

This is a discussion on mandrake 9.2rc2 on Gateway 600ygr/port replicator - Portable ; I am the proud owner of a Gateway 600 series laptop which has, unfortunately, decided to give me nothing but trouble when running Linux. My latest problem is this: I have a port replicator that came with my machine. When ...

  1. mandrake 9.2rc2 on Gateway 600ygr/port replicator

    I am the proud owner of a Gateway 600 series laptop which has,
    unfortunately, decided to give me nothing but trouble when running Linux.
    My latest problem is this: I have a port replicator that came with my
    machine. When it is hooked up, the external CRT (21 inch HP A4033A if it
    matters) will work if I hit the LCD/CRT function key, but once KDE loads
    the screen is stretched off the edges of the display. If I move the mouse
    to the edge of the screen it will scroll, so I am technically getting my
    entire desktop, but I estimate it's about 2.5x-3x larger than it should be.
    I have tried adding a monitor1 entry to XF86Config-4 with the appropriate
    settings for my LCD, but it doesn't seem to help. I have also tried option
    "nostretch" and option "extern_disp", but those yield the same results.
    This is not a huge problem, but it is a persistant one. I have searched
    google, tldp, and tuxmobil and still haven't been able to find anything.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: mandrake 9.2rc2 on Gateway 600ygr/port replicator

    I have this same problem on my new Panasonic cf-w2 Centrino. I am
    pretty sure that reason for too large desktop is that some software
    (windows manager geometry?) thinks the XF86 resolution is one
    or more resolutions smaller than requested by the config file.
    In my case, I think X resolution is really 800x600 in spite of what
    I think is in the XF86Config file created by Red Hat 9.

    I am not sure which is actual XF86Config file and am not sure
    what log files to look at.
    /Steve

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:17:26 GMT, EvilAllah(tm)
    wrote:
    > I am the proud owner of a Gateway 600 series laptop which has,
    > unfortunately, decided to give me nothing but trouble when running Linux.
    > My latest problem is this: I have a port replicator that came with my
    > machine. When it is hooked up, the external CRT (21 inch HP A4033A if it
    > matters) will work if I hit the LCD/CRT function key, but once KDE loads
    > the screen is stretched off the edges of the display. If I move the mouse
    > to the edge of the screen it will scroll, so I am technically getting my
    > entire desktop, but I estimate it's about 2.5x-3x larger than it should be.
    > I have tried adding a monitor1 entry to XF86Config-4 with the appropriate
    > settings for my LCD, but it doesn't seem to help. I have also tried option
    > "nostretch" and option "extern_disp", but those yield the same results.
    > This is not a huge problem, but it is a persistant one. I have searched
    > google, tldp, and tuxmobil and still haven't been able to find anything.

    Steve Meyer Phone: (612) 371-2023
    Pragmatic C Software Corp. email: sjmeyer@pragmatic-c.com
    520 Marquette Ave. So., Suite 900
    Minneapolis, MN 55402

  3. Re: mandrake 9.2rc2 on Gateway 600ygr/port replicator

    Steve Meyer wrote:

    > I have this same problem on my new Panasonic cf-w2 Centrino. I am
    > pretty sure that reason for too large desktop is that some software
    > (windows manager geometry?) thinks the XF86 resolution is one
    > or more resolutions smaller than requested by the config file.
    > In my case, I think X resolution is really 800x600 in spite of what
    > I think is in the XF86Config file created by Red Hat 9.
    >
    > I am not sure which is actual XF86Config file and am not sure
    > what log files to look at.
    > /Steve
    >
    > On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 02:17:26 GMT, EvilAllah(tm)
    >
    > wrote:
    >> I am the proud owner of a Gateway 600 series laptop which has,
    >> unfortunately, decided to give me nothing but trouble when running Linux.
    >> My latest problem is this: I have a port replicator that came with my
    >> machine. When it is hooked up, the external CRT (21 inch HP A4033A if it
    >> matters) will work if I hit the LCD/CRT function key, but once KDE loads
    >> the screen is stretched off the edges of the display. If I move the mouse
    >> to the edge of the screen it will scroll, so I am technically getting my
    >> entire desktop, but I estimate it's about 2.5x-3x larger than it should
    >> be. I have tried adding a monitor1 entry to XF86Config-4 with the
    >> appropriate settings for my LCD, but it doesn't seem to help. I have also
    >> tried option "nostretch" and option "extern_disp", but those yield the
    >> same results. This is not a huge problem, but it is a persistant one. I
    >> have searched google, tldp, and tuxmobil and still haven't been able to
    >> find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    My config file is /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. I'm running Mandrake 9.2rc2, which
    is based off of Redhat, so I'd imagine yours would be in the same location.
    Let me know if you have any luck.

+ Reply to Thread