Athlon too hot? How to cool it down? - Portable

This is a discussion on Athlon too hot? How to cool it down? - Portable ; Hi everyone, I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158 a few months ago, working with an Athlon XP 1800+ (mobile), and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20), with its own pre-compiled Athlon kernel. My main disappointment is its heating, which is ...

  1. Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    Hi everyone,

    I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158 a few months ago, working with an
    Athlon XP 1800+ (mobile), and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20),
    with its own pre-compiled Athlon kernel. My main disappointment is its
    heating, which is excessive IMHO. On WinXP it doesn't heat up like on
    Linux, if I let it be for a while it cools down and eventually the fan
    stops, but on Linux, it keeps going up until the fan hits maximum (or so
    it seems).

    Well, the thing is that, right from the start this baby heats up a lot!
    ACPI reports that it starts at around 60C at boot time, and then it
    gradually heats up until 80C, when the fan kicks and maintains the temp in
    the 70C to 75C range. Till this day, I've managed to get it up to 86C...
    hooray :-(

    I've read elsewhere, http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...01.3/0412.html
    that:

    "If your cpu _ever_ gets into the 50C range your case and or hsf
    is not efficient enough for your hardware. Anything above 50 and
    you're shortening the life of the cpu."

    Naturally, this is something to be concerned about. So, I'd appreciate
    other people sharing their experience on this, especially solution if
    they've found some...

    I've also heard that kernel versions later than 2.4.18 (I remind you, it's
    running 2.4.20 now) do a better job with Athlons. I've tried patching the
    kernel, without success: I'm pretty much a newbie oaf on this kernel
    installation stuff, the best I managed to get was to actually boot the
    kernel, but then it complained that it couldn't find reiserfs.o (it seems
    that this is because the module was in the ReiserFS partition per se,
    where everything except for the /boot is installed), so I gave up and
    reverted to SuSE's kernel which is working...

    So... any ideas? Anyone?

    Thanks in advance.

    "Before I came here I was confused about this
    subject. Having listened to your lecture, I
    am still confused. But on a higher level."
    -- Enrico Fermi
    Joćo Batista [ mailto:joao.batista@desy.de ]

  2. Re: Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    Hello,

    Joćo Batista wrote:

    > I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158 a few months ago, working with an
    > Athlon XP 1800+ (mobile), and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20),
    > with its own pre-compiled Athlon kernel. My main disappointment is its
    > heating, which is excessive IMHO. On WinXP it doesn't heat up like on
    > Linux, if I let it be for a while it cools down and eventually the fan
    > stops, but on Linux, it keeps going up until the fan hits maximum (or so
    > it seems).
    >
    > Well, the thing is that, right from the start this baby heats up a lot!
    > ACPI reports that it starts at around 60C at boot time, and then it
    > gradually heats up until 80C, when the fan kicks and maintains the temp
    >in
    > the 70C to 75C range. Till this day, I've managed to get it up to 86C...

    Take a look here. Athcool cools my Athlon XP 2200+ (Acer Aspire laptop) by
    about 10 C.

    http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacob...softwares.html

    > I've also heard that kernel versions later than 2.4.18 (I remind you,
    >it's
    > running 2.4.20 now) do a better job with Athlons.

    I'm running 2.6.test6 and the laptop runs definitely cooler than yours.
    When it is not doing any heavy tasks it doesn't go above 65-70C and the
    fan almost never switches itself on. I would personally prefer it to be
    on at all time but slow, just to keep it cooler.

    JFL

  3. Re: Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:45:12 +0100, Joćo Batista wrote:
    >Hi everyone,

    >I've bought a Compaq Presario 2158 a few months ago, working with an
    >Athlon XP 1800+ (mobile), and installed SuSE Linux 8.2 (kernel 2.4.20),
    >with its own pre-compiled Athlon kernel. My main disappointment is its
    >heating, which is excessive IMHO. On WinXP it doesn't heat up like on
    >Linux, if I let it be for a while it cools down and eventually the fan
    >stops, but on Linux, it keeps going up until the fan hits maximum (or so
    >it seems).

    >Well, the thing is that, right from the start this baby heats up a lot!
    >ACPI reports that it starts at around 60C at boot time, and then it
    >gradually heats up until 80C, when the fan kicks and maintains the temp in
    >the 70C to 75C range. Till this day, I've managed to get it up to 86C...
    >hooray :-(

    70C-75C is fine for an athlon. The maximum temp on that chip is 95C.

  4. Re: Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, TCS wrote:
    > >Well, the thing is that, right from the start this baby heats up a lot!
    > >ACPI reports that it starts at around 60C at boot time, and then it
    > >gradually heats up until 80C, when the fan kicks and maintains the temp in
    > >the 70C to 75C range. Till this day, I've managed to get it up to 86C...
    > >hooray :-(

    > 70C-75C is fine for an athlon. The maximum temp on that chip is 95C.

    Yeah, it seems correct, I remember seeing that 95C number in the laptop
    manual somewhere...

    Anyway, I did some Googling and found this: http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
    It seems that one should open up the machine and look at the processor to
    find out some interesting things about the processor, namely the upmost
    temperature the processor supports.

    No matter what, that baby isn't sitting on my lap, it's just too hot.

    Cheers,
    -- Joao

    "Before I came here I was confused about this
    subject. Having listened to your lecture, I
    am still confused. But on a higher level."
    -- Enrico Fermi
    Joćo Batista [ mailto:joao.batista@desy.de ]

  5. Re: Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    Hi,

    Thanks for your reply.

    On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, [ISO-8859-15] Jean-Franēois Lemaire wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > > Well, the thing is that, right from the start this baby heats up a lot!
    > > ACPI reports that it starts at around 60C at boot time, and then it
    > > gradually heats up until 80C, when the fan kicks and maintains the temp
    > >in
    > > the 70C to 75C range. Till this day, I've managed to get it up to 86C...

    > Take a look here. Athcool cools my Athlon XP 2200+ (Acer Aspire laptop) by
    > about 10 C.

    (Actually, I've looked into the specs again, and it says it's an Athlon
    XP-M 2400+, but the clock speed is 1.8GHz.)

    Anyway...

    > http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/jacob...softwares.html

    I've tried athcool, and it refused to run since it didn't recognize my
    laptop's chipset. I couldn't get the chipset ID from the specs sheet, and
    I'm a little conscious about opening up to have a look (I'm a bit of an
    oaf, I'm surprised how I still didn't drop the thing :-O

    In any case, thanks for your suggestion.

    > > I've also heard that kernel versions later than 2.4.18 (I remind you,
    > >it's
    > > running 2.4.20 now) do a better job with Athlons.

    > I'm running 2.6.test6 and the laptop runs definitely cooler than yours.
    > When it is not doing any heavy tasks it doesn't go above 65-70C and the
    > fan almost never switches itself on. I would personally prefer it to be
    > on at all time but slow, just to keep it cooler.

    That is something I might consider look into in the future, thanks for the
    tip.

    Cheers,
    -- Joao

    "Before I came here I was confused about this
    subject. Having listened to your lecture, I
    am still confused. But on a higher level."
    -- Enrico Fermi
    Joćo Batista [ mailto:joao.batista@desy.de ]

  6. Re: Athlon too hot? How to cool it down?

    Hello,

    Joćo Batista wrote:

    >> Take a look here. Athcool cools my Athlon XP 2200+ (Acer Aspire laptop)
    >>by
    >> about 10 C.

    > (Actually, I've looked into the specs again, and it says it's an Athlon
    > XP-M 2400+, but the clock speed is 1.8GHz.)
    > I've tried athcool, and it refused to run since it didn't recognize my
    > laptop's chipset. I couldn't get the chipset ID from the specs sheet,
    >and
    > I'm a little conscious about opening up to have a look (I'm a bit of an
    > oaf, I'm surprised how I still didn't drop the thing :-O

    Have you tried "lspci -v" in a shell ?
    You might also do "cat /proc/cpuinfo"

    JFL

+ Reply to Thread