Compaq 1200 anyone? - Portable

This is a discussion on Compaq 1200 anyone? - Portable ; The local store is advertising a Compaq 1200 for about $1200. That looks like a pretty good deal: SVGA+ screen, 2 ghz Mobile Athlon CPU, USB2, Firewire, built-in ethernet, internal CDRW, and so on. Anyone know of any Linux incompatibility ...

  1. Compaq 1200 anyone?

    The local store is advertising a Compaq 1200 for about $1200. That
    looks like a pretty good deal: SVGA+ screen, 2 ghz Mobile Athlon CPU,
    USB2, Firewire, built-in ethernet, internal CDRW, and so on.

    Anyone know of any Linux incompatibility issues with it? Other
    comments? Thanks.

  2. Re: Compaq 1200 anyone?

    Paul,
    I am running SuSE 8.2 on a Compaq 2170. Installation was very
    straightforward. I did disable legacy USB support in the BIOS before
    installing linux. You might have problems with the firewire--I don't have
    it, but I have read of problems with it. If the install hangs at the
    firewire you can disable it.
    My page at http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zvan has more details.
    You might also want to check www.linux-laptop.net for info.
    Zane

    --
    Zane
    Registered Linux User 159730

  3. Re: Compaq 1200 anyone?

    I am running SuSE 8.2 on a 1215US. It is the only distribution that USB
    worked out of the box. I would bring the SuSE 8.2 Live CD to try on the
    computer before I bought. Also if you plan a dual boot you may have trouble
    finding Windows drivers and software for it for anything but the OS that
    came installed on it. Mine came with Me. I installed 98 and can't get the
    modem or the DVD working. No problem for either with linux. Don't expect
    any help from Compaq.

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > The local store is advertising a Compaq 1200 for about $1200. That
    > looks like a pretty good deal: SVGA+ screen, 2 ghz Mobile Athlon CPU,
    > USB2, Firewire, built-in ethernet, internal CDRW, and so on.
    >
    > Anyone know of any Linux incompatibility issues with it? Other
    > comments? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread