I just got a hold of a cool device that, unfortunately, I can't get working.
It's a netpliance i-opener, that has been hacked like crazy. When I got it,
it had a 6gb hard drive, rca jacls for speakers out (haven't tried using
them though so they may not work), USB, keyboard and mouse jacks. The device
has a 16mb Sandisk with Midori Linux on it. The hard drive is bootable with
Win98se. Because the Win98se is so painfully slow on this device, I default
it to boot from the midori linux imaged Sandisk, which automatically opens a
console and Opera browser.

Everything seems to work great except the one thing I want this device for:
internet. I purchased a FMI wireless 802.11b router/switch and a wireless
USB adaptor from CompUSA. I replaced my LinkSys non-wireless router with the
wireless router, and it seems to work great as I'm getting a network feed
through to my PC.

But I can't seem to get the wireless USB adaptor that is hooked up to the
iopener/midori device to work. The drivers that came with it are for windows
devices. Although there are a couple of non-supported linux drivers on the
CD (not mentioned in the docs), but those are for Mandrake and Redhat
distros. I am a complete novice when it comes to Linux and networking, so I
may have a device here that I can't use...

I plugged the USB adaptor into the iopener and started the thing up. Midori
has a web-based configuration system it seems, with one of the options being
to start the network communications. I click on that and it does something,
and then a second or so later comes back and says that the network should be
working now. It isn't.

Any advice? Unfortunately the wireless USB adaptor is not labelled with any
specific brand name. Just CompUSA. I did some net research and it seems that
if this isnt a 'prism' chip based device and is an 'atmel' chipped device
then I'm out of luck. But if it is prism, as supposedly most 802.11b
adaptors are, then midori has built-in driver for it.

Help!