RH9 & Aironet 350 - Portable

This is a discussion on RH9 & Aironet 350 - Portable ; Hey everyone, I've got a Dell laptop running RH9 and a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA wireless card. I'm trying to connect to the wireless campus here at my school but I dont know too much about the configuration of these ...

  1. RH9 & Aironet 350

    Hey everyone,
    I've got a Dell laptop running RH9 and a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA
    wireless card. I'm trying to connect to the wireless campus here at
    my school but I dont know too much about the configuration of these
    cards on linux. I went to the Cisco site and d/l the driver package,
    installed it, and I'm pretty much clueless from there. I know if I go
    to the "Network Device Control" icon then it shows Eth0 which is my
    nic card. I can click on configure and then click to "Add a new
    device" but when I choose wireless then it gives me a list of wireless
    cards on my laptop, but there are none shown. So then it takes me to
    a drop down list where I can choose the Cisco card. I'm just
    wondering though, is this how Im supposed to set it up? I dont know
    if this means anything but I also noticed that the "Activity" and
    "Status" light are both off. If anyone has any suggestions or knows
    how to do this I'd really apprechiate it.
    Thanks,
    Ray

  2. Re: RH9 & Aironet 350

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 05:26:56 -0700, Ray wrote:

    > Hey everyone,
    > I've got a Dell laptop running RH9 and a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA
    > wireless card. I'm trying to connect to the wireless campus here at my
    > school but I dont know too much about the configuration of these cards
    > on linux. I went to the Cisco site and d/l the driver package,
    > installed it, and I'm pretty much clueless from there. I know if I go
    > to the "Network Device Control" icon then it shows Eth0 which is my nic
    > card. I can click on configure and then click to "Add a new device" but
    > when I choose wireless then it gives me a list of wireless cards on my
    > laptop, but there are none shown. So then it takes me to a drop down
    > list where I can choose the Cisco card. I'm just wondering though, is
    > this how Im supposed to set it up? I dont know if this means anything
    > but I also noticed that the "Activity" and "Status" light are both off.
    > If anyone has any suggestions or knows how to do this I'd really
    > apprechiate it.

    I am using this card too. First of all, the kernel driver for the Aironet
    is broken and should not be used. You did the right thing to download the
    Cisco's own driver. However, you should have build the driver with your
    kernel. Instructions are provided in the source package. You may beed to
    also download and uncompress (but not install) the pcmcia-cs package to
    build airo_cs.o and airo.o modules. Once you build them, place them in the
    usual module directory replacing the kernel airo_cs.o and airo.o. After
    the driver is installed, all you need to do is configure networking. From
    System Settings -> Network, create a new wireless connection (eth1).
    Provide SSID and WEP keys provided by your administrator. You should have
    the pcmcia service running, of course. It will automatically recognize
    your card, load appropriate drivers and even activate the network
    interface once you instert the card.

    --
    Vladimir

  3. Re: RH9 & Aironet 350

    > I am using this card too. First of all, the kernel driver for the Aironet
    > is broken and should not be used. You did the right thing to download the
    > Cisco's own driver. However, you should have build the driver with your
    > kernel. Instructions are provided in the source package. You may beed to
    > also download and uncompress (but not install) the pcmcia-cs package to
    > build airo_cs.o and airo.o modules. Once you build them, place them in the
    > usual module directory replacing the kernel airo_cs.o and airo.o. After
    > the driver is installed, all you need to do is configure networking. From
    > System Settings -> Network, create a new wireless connection (eth1).
    > Provide SSID and WEP keys provided by your administrator. You should have
    > the pcmcia service running, of course. It will automatically recognize
    > your card, load appropriate drivers and even activate the network
    > interface once you instert the card.

    Question... When I tell the Cisco install utility that Im using an
    unmodified kernel, it walks me through how to disable pcmcia support
    on my current kernel in order to install the new pcmcia package I
    downloaded and installed.
    Should I not disable this, since your telling me not to reinstall the
    pcmcia package, and just replace the airo_cs and airo modules?
    Then how do I build the new modules withough installing the pcmcia
    package?
    Where is the dir that I replace the old ones?

    If I AM supposed to disable pcmcia to install the new one, do I have
    to fully rebuild the new kernel and reboot to install the pcmcia
    package?

    Thanks a lot for you help!
    Ray

  4. Re: RH9 & Aironet 350

    On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 12:11:26 -0700, Ray wrote:

    > Question... When I tell the Cisco install utility that Im using an
    > unmodified kernel, it walks me through how to disable pcmcia support on
    > my current kernel in order to install the new pcmcia package I
    > downloaded and installed.
    > Should I not disable this, since your telling me not to reinstall the
    > pcmcia package, and just replace the airo_cs and airo modules? Then how
    > do I build the new modules withough installing the pcmcia package? Where
    > is the dir that I replace the old ones?
    >
    > If I AM supposed to disable pcmcia to install the new one, do I have to
    > fully rebuild the new kernel and reboot to install the pcmcia package?

    Actually, I remembered, you don't even need pcmcia-cs (except the RH9
    kernel package that is already installed). The installation is very
    simple. Uncompress the file you downloaded from Cisco
    (Linux-ACU-Driver-v2.0.tar.gz) and run kpciinstall. This will build the
    drivers in ./driver/ . Copy them to the kernel module directory. You
    should know how to find out which directory it is (hint: it's a subdir of
    /lib/modules).

    --
    Vladimir

+ Reply to Thread