Linux on ASUS A2000H Notebook Series - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux on ASUS A2000H Notebook Series - Portable ; Hi all, I'm considering purchasing an ASUS A2500H notebook and I want to install Linux on it, most likely using the RH9 distribution. Has anyone had experience with Linux on this series of machines? (There are no entries about it ...

  1. Linux on ASUS A2000H Notebook Series

    Hi all, I'm considering purchasing an ASUS A2500H notebook and I want

    to install Linux on it, most likely using the RH9 distribution. Has
    anyone had experience with Linux on this series of machines? (There are

    no entries about it on the linux-laptops site.) I've installed and run
    Linux on
    desktops for many years, but this will be my first notebook experiment.

    From my research so far I expect to find incomplete support for the
    SiS650M video chipset (no 3D acceleration, but sufficient for my needs),

    and I might have to upgrade to the most recent kernel to implement ACPI
    support. Of course the on board modem will also probably be a WinModem,

    but that's not a big concern. Should I be expecting any additional and
    perhaps more serious problems?

    Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

    = Find out about low-fee mutual funds: =
    = www.frugalfunds.com =

  2. Re: Linux on ASUS A2000H Notebook Series

    Carl Wolfe writes:

    > Hi all, I'm considering purchasing an ASUS A2500H notebook and I want
    > to install Linux on it, most likely using the RH9 distribution. Has
    > anyone had experience with Linux on this series of machines? (There are
    > no entries about it on the linux-laptops site.) I've installed and run
    > Linux on
    > desktops for many years, but this will be my first notebook experiment.
    >
    > From my research so far I expect to find incomplete support for the
    > SiS650M video chipset (no 3D acceleration, but sufficient for my needs),

    My Asus M2400E has that video chip, and it's working with no problems.

    > and I might have to upgrade to the most recent kernel to implement ACPI
    > support. Of course the on board modem will also probably be a WinModem,

    ACPI is a little flaky, at least with Linux 2.6.0-testX. I haven't
    tried the modem.

    > but that's not a big concern. Should I be expecting any additional and
    > perhaps more serious problems?

    None that I am aware of.

    --
    Måns Rullgård