Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP) - Portable

This is a discussion on Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP) - Portable ; Hello everybody, I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to prepare space for linux. All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not ...

  1. Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    Hello everybody,

    I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
    pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to prepare
    space for linux.

    All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
    the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
    (7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All of
    them give the same message.

    Windows "chqdsk" itself says that the partition is blocked by some
    proccess and it can not correct errors.

    How can I "un-lock" it or know which program is actually blocking it? Some
    people told me that the hibernation system could be blocking the partition
    in order to avoid re-sizing and make sure to have enough space for
    hibernating.

    The last solution would be to remove XP, install Linux, and re-install XP
    later. But I want to try other solutions before since I was able to
    re-size an XP partition and install linux on a similar computer some
    months ago.

    Any help is wellcome!

    Thanks very much in advance.

    Regards,

    Florencio

    PD. Please, CC any answer to my email address (pazos@gredos.cnb.uam.es)

  2. Re: Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    Florencio Pazos wrote:

    > The last solution would be to remove XP, install Linux, and re-install XP
    > later.

    Well, two out of three ain't bad. ;-)

    I don't know what's causing your problem, as I used Partition Magic to
    resize the XP partition on my notebook.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 10:50:44 GMT, James Knott wrote:

    > Florencio Pazos wrote:
    >
    >> The last solution would be to remove XP, install Linux, and re-install XP
    >> later.

    > Well, two out of three ain't bad. ;-)
    >
    > I don't know what's causing your problem, as I used Partition Magic to
    > resize the XP partition on my notebook.

    Florencio;

    My experience is the same as James'. I've never come across a "blocked"
    ntfs partition. Been using Partition Magic for some time. OTOH, I just
    installed suse 8.2 and, although I didn't need to use it, they have a
    utility on their distro called ntfsresize. Check out the following write-up
    for details: http://www.albion.uklinux.net/inspiron5100.html. Note that it
    is important to defragment your ntfs beforehand.

    And please, let us know how it goes!

    -Ungoy

  4. Re: Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    Florencio Pazos wrote:
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
    > pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to prepare
    > space for linux.
    >
    > All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
    > the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
    > (7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All of
    > them give the same message.

    Did you try to run Partition Magic while running Windows? That won't
    work. You need to boot from the PM (v.8) CD. I did this on a new
    laptop, which had WinXP installed, and it worked fine.

    Dave Kristol

  5. Re: Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    Dave Kristol wrote:

    > Did you try to run Partition Magic while running Windows? That won't
    > work. You need to boot from the PM (v.8) CD.

    .... you *CAN* execute the PM resizing functionality, but when
    it's time to "apply changes", PM will require a reboot, then
    it'll apply the changes during real-time bootup
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    If the aborigine drafted an IQ test, all of Western civilization
    would presumably flunk it. - Stanley Garn

  6. Re: Resize of NTFS partition (Win-XP)

    [pm'd also upon request]

    Florencio Pazos wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I want to install Linux on a computer which came with Win-XP
    > pre-installed. But I can not resize the NTFS partition in order to
    > prepare space for linux.
    >
    > All the progrmas I've tried say that they can not reduce
    > the NTFS partition because it is "blocked". I have tried PartitionMagic
    > (7.0 & 8.0) for Windows and "ntfsresize" & "QT_PArt"(?) for linux. All
    > of them give the same message.

    Make a backup of your important data.
    In XP, first chose workplace - properties - system restore, and turn that
    one off for all drives. Same do to "hibernation support" (you might find
    it in control panel - energy). Reboot into safe mode (F8 and select) and
    let XP defrag its partition. This will take some time, maybe overnight.
    Afterwards, your chances to strip the XP partition are at least better
    .

    > PD. Please, CC any answer to my email address (pazos@gredos.cnb.uam.es)

    Yeah, done - but it's not common practice. Usually - in particular with
    crossposting - you should also spend the time and continue the
    thread/discussion/success stories/problems in the newsgroup, to help
    others.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period).

+ Reply to Thread