Has anyone tried Linux on an Averatec (previously known as Sotec)
notebook?

I've loaded Suse 8.2 with moderate success. KDE runs OK, but I get an
annoying screen flicker visible for colors other than white. The
sound card also doesn't work correctly (lots of static), but that's
not a big issue for me.

Video card: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
Windows settings: 1024x768 16-bit color; 96dpi; 60Hz refresh rate
Similar linux settings result in OK picture, but flickering...

Sound card: VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)

Looks like I'll also need to mess with the automatic power management.

Thanks in advance for any help.