Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook? - Portable

This is a discussion on Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook? - Portable ; Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do anything ...

  1. Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small
    notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that
    I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do
    anything special? (Was your machine as small as mine?)
    Replies from those who have "been there, done that" will be most
    appreciated but all suggestions are welcome.

  2. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    Ed Skinner wrote:

    > Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small
    > notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that
    > I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do
    > anything special? (Was your machine as small as mine?)
    > Replies from those who have "been there, done that" will be most
    > appreciated but all suggestions are welcome.

    IMHO, your best bet is NetBSD. Much smaller memory footprint and no bloat.
    Read Install(8) and Federico Lupi's Short Guide.
    First try putting the hdd (with 3.5"-2.5" adaptor) into a desktop PC and do
    a CD-install, else boot off stiffies + nfs install thru PCMCIA ethernet off
    Linux nfs server.
    --
    Regards,
    Phil Botha

    To reply, please remove "NOSPAM" from address
    Linux users are an important and rapidly growing part of the market.
    Linux-friendly companies have a strategic advantage over their competitors.
    LINUX NOW OR LOSE!

    "Gun Free South Africa" is a job-safety program for criminals.

    If we make enough laws we can all be criminals.

  3. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 07:20:35 -0700, "Ed Skinner"
    wrote:

    > Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small
    >notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that
    >I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do
    >anything special? (Was your machine as small as mine?)
    > Replies from those who have "been there, done that" will be most
    >appreciated but all suggestions are welcome.

    A nicely done well documented work:
    http://mulinux.sunsite.dk/mu/faq/faq-5.html#ss5.9

  4. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    Ed Skinner wrote:

    > Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small
    > notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that
    > I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do
    > anything special? (Was your machine as small as mine?)
    > Replies from those who have "been there, done that" will be most
    > appreciated but all suggestions are welcome.

    If you can get Slackware to create a bootstrap image, you might be able to
    load only
    the packages you need. But study the package dependencies, and install only
    minimal
    development tools and no X-windows support.

    Attempts to install most commercial distributions will prove very
    frustrating.
    Try to find distributions that you can readily customize what gets
    installed, and
    especially those distributions that cater to small systems.

    Compiling "Linux From Scratch" and creating a minimalist Linux using
    Busybox for
    many of the support applications, I have been able to create usable Linux
    systems
    that can be distributed using only a few 1.44 Mb floppy diskettes. But
    this takes
    a LOT OF WORK! I have also created small memory-resident Linux turnkey
    appliances this way, bootable by floppy disks.

    Such applications include mineature firewalls - network snooping analysers
    - minimal
    text processing and shell scripting - disk file repair systems -
    specialized interface
    and communications management systems, etc. All from "Linux From Scratch"
    based configurations - repackaged. Try creating Linux for IPAK devices -
    similar
    to palm PCs - this is realy getting small. Some companies are doing this
    with
    wireless network cards to create mobile appliances that can sniff rogue
    wireless
    network access points and map their radio signal strenght and network
    fingerprints.
    Other companies are embedding Linux to serve as the operating system for
    SOHO firewalls, Wireless Access Points, Cable Modems with Firewalling,
    DSL Modems
    with Firewalling, specialized communications servers, etc.

    - Steve Hathaway

  5. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    Steven J. Hathaway wrote:

    >> Anyone put a fairly recent Linux distribution on an old, small
    >> notebook? I have a 486SLC-based machine with 8Mb ram and 500Mb disk that
    >> I'd like to set up. What distribution did you use? Did you have to do
    >> anything special? (Was your machine as small as mine?)
    >> Replies from those who have "been there, done that" will be most
    >> appreciated but all suggestions are welcome.

    > If you can get Slackware to create a bootstrap image, you might be able to
    > load only
    > the packages you need. But study the package dependencies, and install
    > only minimal
    > development tools and no X-windows support.

    There is also a HOWTO on the Linux Documentation site, about installing
    Linux on a low memory system.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  6. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    I have Red Hat 7.1 running on a compaq contura
    aero which is an intel 486 SXJ 25 Mhz. It serves
    as webserver for it's own documentation about how
    to install linux on it.

    It can be found at
    http://www.ulrich-hansen.de/aero

    Other than yours it is upgraded with 20 MB RAM and
    a 10 GB Hdd. On the website I describe also my
    experiences with installing different
    distributions on that machine like Vector Linux
    (slackware) and debian 3.0. I heard Vector Linux
    would be the distro with the least hardware
    requirements.

    I have Apache 2, samba, sendmail and innd running
    fine on it since more than 6 months. PHP/MySQL -
    queries will be a little slow if the database gets
    to big.

    I cannot recommend X.

    The easiest way of installing Linux on that
    machine was indeed putting the hdd via adapter
    into a desktop pc and install it there: Because
    the aero has no cd-rom and also because the
    anaconda installer of redhat 7.1 requires more
    than 20 MB RAM to proceed.

    Uli

  7. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:56:32 +0200, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

    > I have Red Hat 7.1 running on a compaq contura aero which is an intel 486
    > SXJ 25 Mhz. It serves as webserver for it's own documentation about how to
    > install linux on it.
    >
    > It can be found at
    > http://www.ulrich-hansen.de/aero

    [text deleted]

    Wow! Great gobs of gorgeous notes!! Thanks for taking the time to document what you
    did especially including the things that didn't work and why. I'm using
    this effort (of putting Linux on a small machine) to learn about Linux and
    your notes are very, VERY helpful. Thank you! (My printing is burning out
    a hardcopy as I write this thank you.)

  8. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    I've been using Vector 4 rc2 for a while now. Seems to work fine for me
    with an install size of around 300mb. I've also got a version of X running
    on it even though I've only got 16mb of Ram. I'm using Icewm which it can
    handle with a little modification...

    www.thesuite.net/laboratory/latitudelm.php

    Good luck...

    "Ulrich Hansen" wrote in message
    > I have Red Hat 7.1 running on a compaq contura
    > aero which is an intel 486 SXJ 25 Mhz. It serves
    > as webserver for it's own documentation about how
    > to install linux on it.
    >
    > It can be found at
    > http://www.ulrich-hansen.de/aero
    >
    > Other than yours it is upgraded with 20 MB RAM and
    > a 10 GB Hdd. On the website I describe also my
    > experiences with installing different
    > distributions on that machine like Vector Linux
    > (slackware) and debian 3.0. I heard Vector Linux
    > would be the distro with the least hardware
    > requirements.
    >
    > I have Apache 2, samba, sendmail and innd running
    > fine on it since more than 6 months. PHP/MySQL -
    > queries will be a little slow if the database gets
    > to big.
    >
    > I cannot recommend X.
    >
    > The easiest way of installing Linux on that
    > machine was indeed putting the hdd via adapter
    > into a desktop pc and install it there: Because
    > the aero has no cd-rom and also because the
    > anaconda installer of redhat 7.1 requires more
    > than 20 MB RAM to proceed.
    >
    > Uli

  9. Re: Distribution Suggestions for Old Small Notebook?

    > I'm using this effort (of putting Linux on a small machine)
    > to learn about Linux

    Thanks for the compliment! :-)
    BTW: I also learned linux that way...
    Uli