which notebook to buy - Portable

This is a discussion on which notebook to buy - Portable ; Hello! I look for a linux notebook for a friend. It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial port). Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no powerbook ...

  1. which notebook to buy

    Hello!
    I look for a linux notebook for a friend.
    It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial
    port).
    Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    powerbook :-(.
    Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro.
    So what notebook would you recommend?
    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

  2. Re: which notebook to buy

    Michael Brickenstein wrote:

    > Hello!
    > I look for a linux notebook for a friend.
    > It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial
    > port).
    > Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    > powerbook :-(.
    > Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro.
    > So what notebook would you recommend?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Michael

    Have a look at : http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    You will have better chance to have it working well with Linux if you select
    a well known name such as Dell or Sony, but they are a bit more expensive
    than Acer or ...
    --

  3. Re: which notebook to buy

    blackcat wrote:
    > Michael Brickenstein wrote:
    >

    >>Hello!
    >>I look for a linux notebook for a friend.
    >>It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial
    >>port).
    >>Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    >>powerbook :-(.
    >>Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro.
    >>So what notebook would you recommend?
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>Michael

    > Have a look at : http://www.linux-laptop.net/
    > You will have better chance to have it working well with Linux if you select
    > a well known name such as Dell or Sony, but they are a bit more expensive
    > than Acer or ...

    I already spent hours to look through www.linux-laptop.net and
    www.tuxmobil.org, especially looking at Acer and Asus models.
    All notebooks I found there had serious problems or were older and are
    not sold any more.
    Michael

  4. Re: which notebook to buy

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:35:54 +0100, blackcat staggered into the Black
    Sun and said:
    > Michael Brickenstein wrote:
    >> I look for a linux notebook for a friend. It should have WLAN, and
    >> an internal modem (or at least a working serial port). Since it
    >> should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer. Price should
    >> be not higher than 2000 Euro.

    > Have a look at : http://www.linux-laptop.net/

    Narrow it down to 3 or 4 models, then check that URL for info on those 3
    or 4 and Google for "$MAKE $MODEL Linux". Every newer laptop has a
    LoseModem, the hard part is finding out if it's a supported LoseModem or
    an unsupported one. Internal 802.11b is a crapshoot; I'd just forget
    that requirement and spring $60 for a Lucent Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.

    > You will have better chance to have it working well with Linux if you
    > select a well known name such as Dell or Sony

    Um. I wouldn't *ever* buy a Sony laptop unless it were one of the
    really expensive ones. Sony laptops frequently have bizarre chips in
    them, really flaky keyboards, and service that sucks. Dell is a little
    better. For my $, it's IBM or nothing. Trackpoints, really nice
    keyboards, solid construction, most of them work with Real OSes with
    no hassle on your part.

    > but they are a bit more expensive than Acer or ...

    Buy refurbished. Every laptop I've owned since early 2000 (Thinkpad
    380D, 600X, and A22p) has been refurbished, and I've had exactly 1
    mechanical problem in all that time. Refurbished = more computer for
    your $. HTH,

    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  5. Re: which notebook to buy

    Michael Brickenstein wrote:
    > Hello!
    > I look for a linux notebook for a friend.
    > It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial
    > port).
    > Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    > powerbook :-(.
    > Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro.
    > So what notebook would you recommend?

    One approach would be to buy from these guys:

    http://www.emperorlinux.com/

    or someone else who loads Linux on the machine for you.

    Duke

  6. Re: which notebook to buy

    Michael Brickenstein wrote:

    > Hello!
    > I look for a linux notebook for a friend.
    > It should have WLAN, and an internal modem (or at least a working serial
    > port).
    > Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    > powerbook :-(.
    > Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro.
    > So what notebook would you recommend?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Michael

    I have no idea on prices over there, but last year I bought an IBM ThinkPad
    R30. It has built in wireless, dial up modem, NIC etc. All works with
    Linux. IBM hardware tends to be good for Linux.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  7. Re: which notebook to buy

    On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:00:12 +0200, Michael Brickenstein wrote:

    > Hello!
    > I look for a linux notebook for a friend. It should have WLAN, and an
    > internal modem (or at least a working serial port).
    > Since it should also run Windows, it should be an x86 computer, so no
    > powerbook :-(.
    > Price should be not higher than 2000 Euro. So what notebook would you
    > recommend? Thanks in advance,
    > Michael

    I have a desknote 907 from Elitegroup; NOT recommended for Linux. USB &
    Modem do not work, not every distro will install

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread