X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat - Portable

This is a discussion on X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat - Portable ; Hi, my Thinkpad i-series worked fine as a dual-boot machine until yesterday. Now Windows still works fine but when I boot RedHat (v 7.2), the machine seems to boot correctly but it can't start the display. It was configured to ...

  1. X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    Hi, my Thinkpad i-series worked fine as a dual-boot machine
    until yesterday. Now Windows still works fine but when I boot
    RedHat (v 7.2), the machine seems to boot correctly but it can't
    start the display. It was configured to have a graphical login
    (as opposed to text-mode). Now there is a brief flash, then it goes
    back to the text-mode login prompt, then another flash, then back
    to the text-mode, and so on. I can login in text-mode but
    I can't do anything because after the flashes there is a
    period of several seconds in which the screen is blank.

    If I type startx I get a bunch of error messages including:

    output file /var/tmp/server-0.xkm removed
    couldn't load XKB
    NEOMAGIC not programming shadow registers

    When I shut it down I get the error message

    Shutting down xfs [FAILED]

    All this happened after I shut down the machine by exiting X with
    CTRL-F2 and giving the halt command manually. May this be the
    reason? (I did that before and nothing like this ever happened).

    I have the installation CD but don't know what to do.
    Hope somebody can help because I can't use the machine nor
    back-up the data!!

  2. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    GM wrote:

    > Hi, my Thinkpad i-series worked fine as a dual-boot machine
    > until yesterday. Now Windows still works fine but when I boot
    > RedHat (v 7.2), the machine seems to boot correctly but it can't
    > start the display. It was configured to have a graphical login
    > (as opposed to text-mode). Now there is a brief flash, then it goes
    > back to the text-mode login prompt, then another flash, then back
    > to the text-mode, and so on. I can login in text-mode but
    > I can't do anything because after the flashes there is a
    > period of several seconds in which the screen is blank.

    Try logging in a another user to isolate where the problem may be.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

  3. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    James Knott wrote in message news:...
    > GM wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, my Thinkpad i-series worked fine as a dual-boot machine
    > > until yesterday. Now Windows still works fine but when I boot
    > > RedHat (v 7.2), the machine seems to boot correctly but it can't
    > > start the display. It was configured to have a graphical login
    > > (as opposed to text-mode). Now there is a brief flash, then it goes
    > > back to the text-mode login prompt, then another flash, then back
    > > to the text-mode, and so on. I can login in text-mode but
    > > I can't do anything because after the flashes there is a
    > > period of several seconds in which the screen is blank.
    > >

    > Try logging in a another user to isolate where the problem may be.

    I can't do that, the problem happens *before* I login. There are only
    two users, me and root. If I login as root nothing changes. When I installed
    RedHat I selected graphical login, so I can't login in non-graphical
    mode.

  4. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 01:47:09 -0700, GM wrote:

    > If I type startx I get a bunch of error messages including:

    > output file /var/tmp/server-0.xkm removed
    > couldn't load XKB
    > NEOMAGIC not programming shadow registers
    >
    > When I shut it down I get the error message
    >
    > Shutting down xfs [FAILED]
    >
    > All this happened after I shut down the machine by exiting X with
    > CTRL-F2 and giving the halt command manually. May this be the
    > reason? (I did that before and nothing like this ever happened).
    >
    > I have the installation CD but don't know what to do.
    > Hope somebody can help because I can't use the machine nor
    > back-up the data!!

    Huh? Since you startx manually, what's wrong with using cli? My guess is
    that you've changed something in the cmos settings (toggled the status of
    rom shadowing, and now the drivers can't initialize the neomagic videocard.

    Are you sure you didn't change anything on yr system?

    regards,

    Oscar

  5. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    guglielmo_marconi@hotmail.com (GM) writes:

    > When I shut it down I get the error message
    >
    > Shutting down xfs [FAILED]

    This suggests to me that the font server xfs isn't starting, and X
    won't be able to start if it can't find any fonts.

    To fix it, the first thing is to get the machine into text mode. If
    you can login as root for long enough to type `telinit 3', then X will
    stop. Alternatively, if you don't know how to boot into text mode
    (runlevel 3) when booting from disk...

    > I have the installation CD but don't know what to do.

    .... then you can boot from the installation CD and type `linux
    rescue'. This brings you into `rescue mode', and if I recall
    correctly your disk partitions will be mounted and available to be
    edited (there will be more instructions in the official RedHat
    documentation, which can be found on the web).

    Edit the file corresponding to /etc/inittab (it'll probably be mounted
    somewhere else under rescue mode), and in the line

    id:5:initdefault:

    change the 5 to a 3. When you reboot, you will be in text mode
    (runlevel 3), and you can start to diagnose the problem by trying to
    run startx. Once X is fixed, you can change the 3 back to a 5.

    --
    Stephen Cornell cornell@zoo.cam.ac.uk Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
    University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

  6. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    Stephen Cornell wrote in message news:...
    > guglielmo_marconi@hotmail.com (GM) writes:
    > >
    > > When I shut it down I get the error message
    > >
    > > Shutting down xfs [FAILED]

    > This suggests to me that the font server xfs isn't starting, and X
    > won't be able to start if it can't find any fonts.
    >
    > To fix it, the first thing is to get the machine into text mode. If
    > you can login as root for long enough to type `telinit 3', then X will
    > stop. Alternatively, if you don't know how to boot into text mode
    > (runlevel 3) when booting from disk...
    >
    > > I have the installation CD but don't know what to do.

    > ... then you can boot from the installation CD and type `linux
    > rescue'. This brings you into `rescue mode', and if I recall
    > correctly your disk partitions will be mounted and available to be
    > edited (there will be more instructions in the official RedHat
    > documentation, which can be found on the web).
    >
    > Edit the file corresponding to /etc/inittab (it'll probably be mounted
    > somewhere else under rescue mode), and in the line
    >
    > id:5:initdefault:
    >
    > change the 5 to a 3. When you reboot, you will be in text mode
    > (runlevel 3), and you can start to diagnose the problem by trying to
    > run startx. Once X is fixed, you can change the 3 back to a 5.

    Thanks. I was able to login text-mode by doing just what you suggested
    (I edited directly /etc/inittab, it took a long time due to the
    flashes, I could only tipe for one second or so at a time...).
    But in in the end I could not diagnose the problem, so I "solved" the
    problem by backing up the data on the windows partition and then
    reinstalling RedHat. quite a blow to my linux ego.

  7. Re: X would not start on Thinkpad with RedHat

    GM wrote:

    > I can't do that, the problem happens before I login. There are only
    > two users, me and root. If I login as root nothing changes. When I
    > installed RedHat I selected graphical login, so I can't login in
    > non-graphical mode.

    You can log in as root in the single user mode, which should let log in
    without X. You can then telinit to level 3 or 5 as required for testing.

    --

    Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

    james.knott.

+ Reply to Thread