Video problems when playing DVD - Portable

This is a discussion on Video problems when playing DVD - Portable ; Hi. I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a Dell laptop. I have a DVD/CD burner combo drive. I tried playing a DVD with Mplayer, Xine and Ogle with same result. My video controller is based on Intel's 82815 chipset. When I ...

  1. Video problems when playing DVD

    Hi.

    I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a Dell laptop.
    I have a DVD/CD burner combo drive.
    I tried playing a DVD with Mplayer, Xine and Ogle with same result.
    My video controller is based on Intel's 82815 chipset.

    When I start playing a DVD, there is a big bleu area in the player
    screen that makes it impossible to view the movie. I've tried different
    settings in the players but so far I've found nothing to fix this.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    Paul

  2. Re: Video problems when playing DVD

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:50:33 -0400, Paul staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a Dell laptop. I tried playing a DVD with
    > Mplayer, Xine and Ogle with same result. My video controller is based
    > on Intel's 82815 chipset.
    >
    > When I start playing a DVD, there is a big bleu area in the player
    > screen that makes it impossible to view the movie. I've tried
    > different settings in the players but so far I've found nothing to fix
    > this.

    mplayer, xine, and ogle are trying to use your video card's overlay
    support. I don't know whether video overlay is even supported on that
    particular Intel video card--what does "xdpyinfo | grep Video" return?
    What does "grep Driver /etc/X11/XF86Config" return?

    The fix for mplayer is pretty easy from the command line:

    mplayer -vo x11 (other arguments)

    ....or edit ~/.mplayer/config and make sure you have a line that says

    vo = x11

    ....and mplayer will use the slower-but-guaranteed-to-work X Shared
    Memory renderer instead of the faster-but-doesn't-always-work XV
    renderer. For xine, in the "Setup" window, go to the "video" tab and
    set the "video driver to use" dropdown box to "xshm" instead of "auto".
    I've never used Ogle so I can't help you there. HTH,

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

  3. Re: Video problems when playing DVD

    Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:50:33 -0400
    skrev Paul :

    > When I start playing a DVD, there is a big bleu area in the player
    > screen that makes it impossible to view the movie. I've tried different
    > settings in the players but so far I've found nothing to fix this.

    Funny,
    I just had this today on an else very well working "mplayer".

    The problem was that I had booted my Thinkpad T22 with the external
    monitor on and the Thinkpad switched to that monitor.

    Booting on the LCD and switching to external monitor after X has
    started works and has always worked.

    XFree86 Version 4.3.0
    VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86C270-294 Savage/IX-MV (rev 13)

    --
    Med venlig hilsen / Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

    Andreas Hinz

  4. Re: Video problems when playing DVD

    Dances With Crows a écrit :
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:50:33 -0400, Paul staggered into the Black Sun
    > and said:
    >
    >>I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a Dell laptop. I tried playing a DVD with
    >>Mplayer, Xine and Ogle with same result. My video controller is based
    >>on Intel's 82815 chipset.
    >>
    >>When I start playing a DVD, there is a big bleu area in the player
    >>screen that makes it impossible to view the movie. I've tried
    >>different settings in the players but so far I've found nothing to fix
    >>this.

    > mplayer, xine, and ogle are trying to use your video card's overlay
    > support. I don't know whether video overlay is even supported on that
    > particular Intel video card--what does "xdpyinfo | grep Video" return?
    > What does "grep Driver /etc/X11/XF86Config" return?
    >
    > The fix for mplayer is pretty easy from the command line:
    >
    > mplayer -vo x11 (other arguments)
    >
    > ...or edit ~/.mplayer/config and make sure you have a line that says
    >
    > vo = x11
    >
    > ...and mplayer will use the slower-but-guaranteed-to-work X Shared
    > Memory renderer instead of the faster-but-doesn't-always-work XV
    > renderer. For xine, in the "Setup" window, go to the "video" tab and
    > set the "video driver to use" dropdown box to "xshm" instead of "auto".
    > I've never used Ogle so I can't help you there. HTH,

    "xdpyinfo | grep Video" returns "XVideo"

    "grep Driver /etc/X11/XF86Config" returns "Driver "svga""

    I did change the video driver to "xshm" in xine and it's now working
    fine. Thanks.

    Paul

  5. Re: Video problems when playing DVD

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:24:16 -0400, Paul staggered into the Black Sun
    and said:
    > Dances With Crows a écrit :
    >> On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:50:33 -0400, Paul staggered into the Black Sun
    >> and said:
    >>>I'm running Mandrake 9.1 on a Dell laptop. I tried playing a DVD
    >>>with Mplayer, Xine and Ogle with same result. My video controller is
    >>>based on Intel's 82815 chipset. When I start playing a DVD, there is
    >>>a big bleu area in the player screen that makes it impossible to view
    >>>the movie.

    >> mplayer -vo x11 (other arguments)
    >>
    >> ...and mplayer will use the slower-but-guaranteed-to-work X Shared
    >> Memory renderer instead of the faster-but-doesn't-always-work XV
    >> renderer. For xine, in the "Setup" window, go to the "video" tab and
    >> set the "video driver to use" dropdown box to "xshm" instead of
    >> "auto".

    > "xdpyinfo | grep Video" returns "XVideo"

    OK, so the X server thinks Xv is present and working. Oops, my bad... I
    should've had you do "xvinfo" instead and post the output.

    > "grep Driver /etc/X11/XF86Config" returns "Driver "svga""

    That's not right. Mandrake must be set up so that there are 2
    XF86Config files, /etc/X11/XF86Config for X 3.3.6 and
    /etc/X11/XF86COnfig-4 for X 4.whatever. It's highly unlikely you're
    running X 3.3.6; the correct X sever module for your video chipset is
    i810. "man i810" says that there are some options you can try setting
    in the correct XF86Config file, but I'd look at the output from xvinfo
    first. It might also help to run in 16-bit color instead of 24-bit,
    and of course you'll have to make sure that the agpgart and i810 kernel
    modules are loaded (output from "lsmod" should contain those modules.)

    > I did change the video driver to "xshm" in xine and it's now working
    > fine. Thanks.

    Excellent... but having real Xv acceleration makes some things easier
    (choose "full screen" in mplayer, watch movie at maximum size with
    barely any perceptible slowdown.) Oh well, bonne chance....

    Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
    http://www.brainbench.com / "He is a rhythmic movement of the
    -----------------------------/ penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

+ Reply to Thread