Gentoo Linux install problem... - Portable

This is a discussion on Gentoo Linux install problem... - Portable ; I am installing Gentoo 1.4 on my PII-266 (64Mb RAM) notebook. Everything has been going well and the gentoo.org site has great installation instructions... ( http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3 ) But, now that I am at Entering the chroot of Step 8., I ...

  1. Gentoo Linux install problem...

    I am installing Gentoo 1.4 on my PII-266 (64Mb RAM) notebook. Everything
    has been going well and the gentoo.org site has great installation
    instructions...
    (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3)
    But, now that I am at Entering the chroot of Step 8., I am having a problem
    copying a file.
    When I type 'cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf' I get the
    error: 'cp: cannot stat '/etc/resolv.conf' : No such file or directory
    I have done an ls -l /etc/ and can see the resolv.conf file there. The
    permissions don't appear to be an obstacle as they are full and I am root
    anyway. I do notice that the file has cyan text which, I believe, signifies
    that it is a symbolic link. I even tried to copy from the location of the
    symbolic link (/etc/ppp/resolv.conf), but I get the same error.
    Hmmm... Ok, I have just found the problem by describing it. When I check
    the symbolic link, the file does not exist there. Does this mean that the
    live CD I created from an iso download is missing files? Not sure what else
    it could be.
    Any help whatsoever would be really appreciated.
    thnx, hj.

    --
    ______________________

  2. Re: Gentoo Linux install problem...

  3. Re: Gentoo Linux install problem...

    Vince Castellano wrote:

    > I may be assuming wrong, but if you're on DHCP, then dhcpcd should have created that file. Can you ping by host? Try pinging google.com and if you got nothing, handcraft a resolv.conf. Also, alt.os.linux.gentoo
    >
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:14:40 -0400
    > "hugh jass" wrote:
    >

    >>I am installing Gentoo 1.4 on my PII-266 (64Mb RAM) notebook. Everything
    >>has been going well and the gentoo.org site has great installation
    >>instructions...
    >>(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3)
    >>But, now that I am at Entering the chroot of Step 8., I am having a problem
    >>copying a file.

    [snip]

    also try http://forums.gentoo.org

  4. Re: Gentoo Linux install problem...

    sorrry i can't help, but it is 2.30aam and i am attempting to delete
    messages from wonderful people like you, How would you feel if it was a
    five year old bored latch key kid By the time my hangover kicks in later I
    may not be so humourfull but for the moment, I'm just enjoying thewonders of
    high tech. Thiink the post office, cheques and chemist accounts, telegrams,
    dress shop accounts and a couple of extrra days to pay your accounts only
    means you have style and life is somuch nicer I hope this guy's swiggly
    thing is a tape one 'it'll eat him up. Please go away you person and leave
    us good people to get on with our lives.
    "Varanasi Benares" wrote in message
    news:RIWab.43$vS.15@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et...

    > Vince Castellano wrote:
    > >
    > > I may be assuming wrong, but if you're on DHCP, then dhcpcd should have

    created that file. Can you ping by host? Try pinging google.com and if you
    got nothing, handcraft a resolv.conf. Also, alt.os.linux.gentoo

    > > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:14:40 -0400
    > > "hugh jass" wrote:
    > >

    > >>I am installing Gentoo 1.4 on my PII-266 (64Mb RAM) notebook.

    Everything
    > >>has been going well and the gentoo.org site has great installation
    > >>instructions...
    > >>(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3)
    > >>But, now that I am at Entering the chroot of Step 8., I am having a

    problem
    > >>copying a file.

    > [snip]
    >
    > also try http://forums.gentoo.org

  5. Re: Gentoo Linux install problem...

    What you need is a life. I highly recommend it. Enjoy the hangover,
    peabrain.
    hj.

    --
    ______________________
    "Ant" wrote in message
    : sorrry i can't help, but it is 2.30aam and i am attempting to delete
    : messages from wonderful people like you, How would you feel if it was a
    : five year old bored latch key kid By the time my hangover kicks in later
    : may not be so humourfull but for the moment, I'm just enjoying thewonders
    of
    : high tech. Thiink the post office, cheques and chemist accounts,
    telegrams,
    : dress shop accounts and a couple of extrra days to pay your accounts only
    : means you have style and life is somuch nicer I hope this guy's swiggly
    : thing is a tape one 'it'll eat him up. Please go away you person and
    leave
    : us good people to get on with our lives.
    : "Varanasi Benares" wrote in message
    : news:RIWab.43$vS.15@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.n et...
    : >
    : >
    : > Vince Castellano wrote:
    : > > Hash: SHA1
    : > >
    : > > I may be assuming wrong, but if you're on DHCP, then dhcpcd should
    have
    : created that file. Can you ping by host? Try pinging google.com and if you
    : got nothing, handcraft a resolv.conf. Also, alt.os.linux.gentoo
    : > >
    : > > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:14:40 -0400
    : > > "hugh jass" wrote:
    : > >
    : > >
    : > >>I am installing Gentoo 1.4 on my PII-266 (64Mb RAM) notebook.
    : Everything
    : > >>has been going well and the gentoo.org site has great installation
    : > >>instructions...
    : > >>(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3)
    : > >>But, now that I am at Entering the chroot of Step 8., I am having a
    : problem
    : > >>copying a file.
    : >
    : > [snip]