linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520 - Portable

This is a discussion on linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520 - Portable ; HI EVERYBODY, I GOT THE NEC P520 NOTEBOOK WITH WIN XP PRO UK VERION ON IT. I WOULD TO INSTALL LINUX MANDRAKE AS A SECOND O.S. ON IT ? CAN YOU HELP ? TAHNKS IN ADVANCE...

  1. linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520

    HI EVERYBODY,
    I GOT THE NEC P520 NOTEBOOK WITH WIN XP PRO UK VERION ON IT.
    I WOULD TO INSTALL LINUX MANDRAKE AS A SECOND O.S. ON IT ?
    CAN YOU HELP ?
    TAHNKS IN ADVANCE

  2. Re: linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520

    On 19-Sep-2003, mimajeri@yahoo.com (ikbal) wrote:

    > HI EVERYBODY,
    > I GOT THE NEC P520 NOTEBOOK WITH WIN XP PRO UK VERION ON IT.
    > I WOULD TO INSTALL LINUX MANDRAKE AS A SECOND O.S. ON IT ?
    > CAN YOU HELP ?
    > TAHNKS IN ADVANCE

    PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!!!

    Perhaps you could be a bit more specific on the type of help needed?

    However, lacking that, here are some general hints...

    Since you only have a single drive (notebook PC), get Partition Magic and
    reduce the size of your XP NTFS of FAT32 partition to make room for the
    linux partitions. Mandrake is pretty big in a full deployment with X, so try
    to free up several GB of space (10, if you can spare it).

    Partition Magic can also pre-create the Linux partitions for you. You should
    (after resizing) have a Primary partition and a bunch (10 GB?) of free
    space. Now... get out the pen and paper. Allocate double your RAM for the
    swap partition (i.e. if you have 512MB of RAM, allocate 1GB for swap). The
    remainder should go to "/", formatted as ext3

    Create an extended partition using all of the available free space. Within
    this, create a 9GB ext3 partition and a 1GB swap (adjust for actual
    numbers).

    Boot to the install CDs and install into the existing partition. Make sure
    you configure grub or lilo (your choice) to install in the MBR.

    Ask more specific questions and I can give you more specific answers.

  3. Re: linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520

    "FlyByKnight" wrote in message news:...
    > On 19-Sep-2003, mimajeri@yahoo.com (ikbal) wrote:
    >
    > > HI EVERYBODY,
    > > I GOT THE NEC P520 NOTEBOOK WITH WIN XP PRO UK VERION ON IT.
    > > I WOULD TO INSTALL LINUX MANDRAKE AS A SECOND O.S. ON IT ?
    > > CAN YOU HELP ?
    > > TAHNKS IN ADVANCE

    > PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!!!

    Fisrt of all, I never mean to shout, I use to write all my messages in
    block letters

    > Perhaps you could be a bit more specific on the type of help needed?
    >
    > However, lacking that, here are some general hints...
    >
    > Since you only have a single drive (notebook PC), get Partition Magic and
    > reduce the size of your XP NTFS of FAT32 partition to make room for the
    > linux partitions. Mandrake is pretty big in a full deployment with X, so try
    > to free up several GB of space (10, if you can spare it).
    >
    > Partition Magic can also pre-create the Linux partitions for you. You should
    > (after resizing) have a Primary partition and a bunch (10 GB?) of free
    > space. Now... get out the pen and paper. Allocate double your RAM for the
    > swap partition (i.e. if you have 512MB of RAM, allocate 1GB for swap). The
    > remainder should go to "/", formatted as ext3
    >
    > Create an extended partition using all of the available free space. Within
    > this, create a 9GB ext3 partition and a 1GB swap (adjust for actual
    > numbers).
    >
    > Boot to the install CDs and install into the existing partition. Make sure
    > you configure grub or lilo (your choice) to install in the MBR.
    >
    > Ask more specific questions and I can give you more specific answers.

    My NEC P520 has 40 GB H.D, do you think 10 GB is enough for linux +
    some programs to install with it ?
    I don't have partition magic 8.0 but I got partition manager, can you
    send me in detail (i.e. step by step) how to do the partition ?
    Is it possible that linux cannot recognize some drivers on my laptop ?
    in that case how can I make it do so ?

  4. Re: linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520

    Always a good idea to read your partitioning software's manual for
    suggestions.
    Also, I did a google search using "how to partition a hard drive" as search
    terms and came up with lots. Beware the links that are just marketing for
    specific partitioning software tools (ahem pcworld!). The following seem to
    give good info:

    http://www.techhowto.com/How_to/os/part.php
    http://www.newlogic.co.uk/fdisk.htm

    I also recently attempted a gentoo linux install on my laptop and the
    documentation they provide at their site is quite comprehensive. See step
    6. for how to partition your hd.

    http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-....xml#doc_chap3

    best of luck, hj

    ______________________

  5. Re: linux mandrake and win xp pro on NEC P520

    I think your question is actually win xp not Linux distro related.
    I had the same problem on my new Panasonic cf-w2 and ran into a very
    good rescue and nts resize combined boot diskette set with good documentation
    that solved my problem of needing to dynamically partion win xp NTFS file
    system so I could still run win xp because much of the new Centrino
    stuff is not yet supported under Linux. Easiest way to find rescue
    diskettes is to give phrase "ntfsresize FAQ" to a search engine and then
    click on July 28, 2003 entry "Partboot for USB floppy drives".
    /Steve

    --
    Steve Meyer Phone: (612) 371-2023
    Pragmatic C Software Corp. email: sjmeyer@pragmatic-c.com