4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux? - Portable

This is a discussion on 4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux? - Portable ; Hi there, My machine is a few years old. It is a P2-266MHz with 64Mb RAM. What Linux would you recommend to put on it. My main requirements are general office stuff and must be able to connect to router. ...

  1. 4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux?

    Hi there,
    My machine is a few years old. It is a P2-266MHz with 64Mb RAM.
    What Linux would you recommend to put on it. My main requirements are
    general office stuff and must be able to connect to router. Also want to
    get familiar with Linux and try some GIS software (Grass) on it before I
    invest in a newer machine for Linux purposes.
    thnx, hj.

    --
    ______________________

  2. Re: 4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux?

    hugh jass wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > My machine is a few years old. It is a P2-266MHz with 64Mb RAM.
    > What Linux would you recommend to put on it. My main requirements are
    > general office stuff and must be able to connect to router. Also want to
    > get familiar with Linux and try some GIS software (Grass) on it before I
    > invest in a newer machine for Linux purposes.
    > thnx, hj.

    The main thing is to avoid the big GUIs like KDE or even Gnome.

    I had a good experience installing Vector Linux, a Slackware
    derivative, on my older laptop. It's not quite as bad as
    yours, but it's pretty bad (400Mhz Celeron & 192MB RAM).
    Vector is very responsive.

    The video isn't so great...it "ghosts" when you drag a window
    across the screen, but I suspect that X is just gonna do that
    on a slow machine.

    Duke

  3. Re: 4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux?

    "hugh jass" writes:

    > Hi there,
    > My machine is a few years old. It is a P2-266MHz with 64Mb RAM.
    > What Linux would you recommend to put on it. My main requirements are
    > general office stuff and must be able to connect to router.

    I'd definitely recommend Debian Stable for hardware that's more than a
    year or two old (*). Your hardware is more than adequate for IceWM or
    Windowmaker as your desktop, Opera as your browser, and Abiword and
    Gnumeric for Office stuff (or LyX if you don't need to read or write
    in Microsoft formats). The installation procedure may seem rather
    crusty, but you'll be rewarded with a wonderfully stable, reliable,
    and maintainable system.

    (*) It's also fine for newer hardware provided you're sure it's
    supported - Debian Unstable or Testing may work, but in some way they
    offer the worst of both worlds.
    --
    Stephen Cornell cornell@zoo.cam.ac.uk Tel/fax +44-1223-336644
    University of Cambridge, Zoology Department, Downing Street, CAMBRIDGE CB2 3EJ

  4. Re: 4 yr. old ASUS L7000 notebook - which Linux?

    I have am older IBM 760XL w/ P166 & only 64 Mb of memory.
    Latest install that worked well was SuSe 7.3 w/ KDE(3) and Sun's Star
    Office.
    Later rev's did not work on this machine.
    Slow in some respects, but it did a lot of work for me.
    I have 6 HD's for this machine. We just tried WinDoz XP. What a hoot! The
    stupid OS could not even recognize a PC card as a drive!
    It is the dopiest piece of crap I have ever seen!

    hugh jass wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > My machine is a few years old. It is a P2-266MHz with 64Mb RAM.
    > What Linux would you recommend to put on it. My main requirements are
    > general office stuff and must be able to connect to router. Also want to
    > get familiar with Linux and try some GIS software (Grass) on it before I
    > invest in a newer machine for Linux purposes.
    > thnx, hj.

+ Reply to Thread