Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP) - Portable

This is a discussion on Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP) - Portable ; I have installed Linux (Mandrake 9.1) on my new HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook. As anyone who has bought a new notebook will know, they come with Xp pre-installed, but you can read the Microsoft EULA before you decline to accept it ...

  1. Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP)

    I have installed Linux (Mandrake 9.1) on my new HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook.
    As anyone who has bought a new notebook will know, they come with Xp
    pre-installed, but you can read the Microsoft EULA before you decline to
    accept it and get bombed out. Under this EULA, Microsoft say that if you
    remove Xp from the hard disk and send the software back to the computer
    manufacturer you will get a refund.
    Ok, thats the theory. Has anybody done it?
    I have an email from HP which seems to agree with the theory but I cannot
    get them to tell me where to send the software back to.
    Will I have to resort to the Small Claims Court to resolve it?

    Any suggestions?

    Peter.

  2. Re: Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP)

    In uk.comp.os.linux, Peter waffled thusly:
    > I have installed Linux (Mandrake 9.1) on my new HP/Compaq
    > nx9005 notebook. As anyone who has bought a new notebook will
    > know, they come with Xp pre-installed, but you can read the
    > Microsoft EULA before you decline to accept it and get bombed
    > out. Under this EULA, Microsoft say that if you remove Xp from
    > the hard disk and send the software back to the computer
    > manufacturer you will get a refund.

    Having to return it to the notebook manufacturer instead of MS
    is very convenient isn't it? So few people must do this that I
    wonder whether many manufacturers have even planned for it.
    Sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare and MS must know it.

    > Ok, thats the theory. Has anybody done it? I have an email
    > from HP which seems to agree with the theory but I cannot get
    > them to tell me where to send the software back to. Will I
    > have to resort to the Small Claims Court to resolve it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Contact the Microsoft Connection on 0345 00 2000. Mention the
    Small Claims Court when you hit the first brick wall. You never
    know, you might get them to talk to HP. I'm surprised you're
    getting nowhere with HP. Did you register a complaint (on the
    phone)? Normally, they'll escalate the problem to a manager in
    order to solve the problem and wipe out the complaint (it makes
    for nicer statistics). When I first bought one of their
    CD-Writers (late 97), the requirements on the box were incorrect
    and my PC wasn't fast enough. Some guy in Holland asked for the
    memory type and sent me a new stick. Probably the best example
    of a customer service dept. getting off its arse that I've
    witnessed first-hand.

    I might try declining the XP Eula when I get my next notebook so
    it'll be interesting to hear how you get on.
    --
    Lee J. Moore
    http://cafe-society.com

  3. Re: Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP)

    Peter Riggs wrote:
    > I have installed Linux (Mandrake 9.1) on my new HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook.
    > As anyone who has bought a new notebook will know, they come with Xp
    > pre-installed, but you can read the Microsoft EULA before you decline to
    > accept it and get bombed out. Under this EULA, Microsoft say that if you
    > remove Xp from the hard disk and send the software back to the computer
    > manufacturer you will get a refund.
    > Ok, thats the theory. Has anybody done it?
    > I have an email from HP which seems to agree with the theory but I cannot
    > get them to tell me where to send the software back to.
    > Will I have to resort to the Small Claims Court to resolve it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Peter.

    I once pursued the OFT about the fact that I couldn't go into the
    majority of PC retailers and NOT get a machine with a MS operating
    system installed. Didn't get very far, some concepts too complex for the
    person I got through to.

    What is the cost of XP to the home user?

    hang on... MS's website states that it's $199.

    Looks like you've got the Xmas presents covered...

    Michael Calwell

  4. Re: Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP)

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:50:43 +0000 (UTC), Michael Calwell
    wrote:

    >Peter Riggs wrote:
    >> I have installed Linux (Mandrake 9.1) on my new HP/Compaq nx9005 notebook.
    >> As anyone who has bought a new notebook will know, they come with Xp
    >> pre-installed, but you can read the Microsoft EULA before you decline to
    >> accept it and get bombed out. Under this EULA, Microsoft say that if you
    >> remove Xp from the hard disk and send the software back to the computer
    >> manufacturer you will get a refund.
    >> Ok, thats the theory. Has anybody done it?
    >> I have an email from HP which seems to agree with the theory but I cannot
    >> get them to tell me where to send the software back to.
    >> Will I have to resort to the Small Claims Court to resolve it?
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Peter.
    >>

    >I once pursued the OFT about the fact that I couldn't go into the
    >majority of PC retailers and NOT get a machine with a MS operating
    >system installed. Didn't get very far, some concepts too complex for the
    >person I got through to.
    >
    >What is the cost of XP to the home user?
    >
    >hang on... MS's website states that it's $199.

    No chance - if you get anything back from HP, it's going to be of the
    order of 30 - 40. Anyone can buy single OEM copies for under 60 +
    VAT.

  5. Re: Linux replacing Windows Xp (getting a refund from HP)

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:12:24 +0000, Peter Riggs wrote:

    > Ok, thats the theory. Has anybody done it?
    > I have an email from HP which seems to agree with the theory but I cannot
    > get them to tell me where to send the software back to.
    > Will I have to resort to the Small Claims Court to resolve it?
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11593
    http://windowsrefund.net/index2.php

    Regards