built kernel w/ACPI; now what? - Portable

This is a discussion on built kernel w/ACPI; now what? - Portable ; I just built and installed kernel 2.4.22 with ACPI support enabled on my new Dell 300m. About the only thing I notice different from the default Red Hat 9 kernel is that it now powers off by itself if I ...

  1. built kernel w/ACPI; now what?

    I just built and installed kernel 2.4.22 with ACPI support enabled on
    my new Dell 300m. About the only thing I notice different from the
    default Red Hat 9 kernel is that it now powers off by itself if I do
    shutdown -h. The suspend button does not work, nor does closing the
    lid do anything useful. Are there supposed to be other things I can
    do with ACPI, like monitor the battery status? (I can do all that
    stuff on my older laptops which use APM instead.) Forgive me if this
    is a stupid question, and I have tried to RTFM, but it seems that all
    the ACPI documentation I can find is low-level stuff about how to
    install it rather than what you actually do with it once you've got it
    installed.

    -Sandra

  2. Re: built kernel w/ACPI; now what?

    Hi,

    On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 14:38:51 GMT
    Sandra Loosemore wrote:

    > Are there supposed to be other things I can
    > do with ACPI, like monitor the battery status?

    Take a look at /proc/acpi. There are a lot of files containing various
    information like battery status etc. Also take a look at acpid [1].
    With this software you can define actions to be taken when an acpi event
    like closing the lid is detected.

    Regards,

    Markus

    [1] http://acpid.sourceforge.net/

    --
    Visit my homepage: http://home.arcor.de/markusheinz/

  3. Re: built kernel w/ACPI; now what?

    In article ,
    Sandra Loosemore wrote:
    >I just built and installed kernel 2.4.22 with ACPI support enabled on
    >my new Dell 300m.

    >The suspend button does not work, nor does closing the
    >lid do anything useful.

    Is this one of those Dell laptops that needs a special partition
    before it can suspend?

+ Reply to Thread