HP ze4400 pavilion notebook - Portable

This is a discussion on HP ze4400 pavilion notebook - Portable ; Anyone with any thoughts or experience why I should _not_ purchase an HP pavilion ze4400 series notebook, if I'm planning on putting Linux on it? sjfromm...

  1. HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    Anyone with any thoughts or experience why I should _not_ purchase an
    HP pavilion ze4400 series notebook, if I'm planning on putting Linux
    on it?

    sjfromm

  2. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    I purchased a HP Pavilion N5470. HP would only support it in the factory
    confuration. Do not expect any help from HP. Mine came with WinME. I wanted
    to run Win98/Linux (dual boot). It semms they crippled the machine. I
    couild not get drivers for some of the hardware, and some of the software
    would only run in WinME. The DVD Player for example. Although I can play
    DVDs running Linux, I still can't play them running Win98. Because of the
    refusal of support from HP and the crippled hardware, I will probably never
    buy another portable from HP. I suggest that you insist on trying a Live CD
    version of linux, Like Knoppix or SuSE, on it before you buy it. Also make
    sure it will runt the version of Windows you want to use.

    Good Luck - Dennis

  3. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    Stephen,
    What are the specs on this machine? If it is similar to the Compaq 2170,
    you should have no problems depending on the distro you use. SuSE 8.2 and
    the newest Mandrake seem to install almost flawlessly. RH 9.0 installs
    seem to have a lot of problems.
    The two biggest problems are legacy USB and firewire. You should diable
    them in the bios before doing the install. If you want to dual boot with
    WinXP, you will need to use either the linux NTFS tools or Partition Magic
    to resize and format the hard drive. Linux can only read from NTFS at this
    time.
    www.linux-laptop.net and tuxmobil.org will have more resources you can
    check.
    Zane

    --
    Zane
    Registered Linux User 159730

  4. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    Dennis wrote in message news:...
    > I purchased a HP Pavilion N5470. HP would only support it in the factory
    > confuration. Do not expect any help from HP. Mine came with WinME. I wanted
    > to run Win98/Linux (dual boot).

    I want XP/Linux dual boot, just like on my desktop now.

    > It semms they crippled the machine. I
    > couild not get drivers for some of the hardware, and some of the software
    > would only run in WinME. The DVD Player for example. Although I can play
    > DVDs running Linux, I still can't play them running Win98. Because of the
    > refusal of support from HP and the crippled hardware, I will probably never
    > buy another portable from HP. I suggest that you insist on trying a Live CD
    > version of linux, Like Knoppix or SuSE, on it before you buy it. Also make
    > sure it will runt the version of Windows you want to use.

    Are you claiming that it won't runn everything on the most popular
    forms of Windows? XP comes with the machine...I assume your claim
    isn't so strong as "some things are crippled even with the OS it came
    loaded with" (versus non-loaded, albeit popular, versions of Windows).

    BTW---what's a "Live CD" version of Linux? (Heretofore I've used
    Mandrake.)

    > Good Luck - Dennis

    Thanks for your reply,

    sjfromm

  5. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    Zane Vandiver wrote in message news:...
    > Stephen,
    > What are the specs on this machine? If it is similar to the Compaq 2170,

    * Athlon XP-M 2200+
    * ATI IGP 320M chipset (or something similar--this is from a poster to
    a PC Mag review of a very similar machine, and for some reason HP
    doesn't tell you what the chipset is)
    * 512 MB DDR SDRAM
    * 30 GB HDD
    * 54g Wireless (includes 802.11b)
    * 10/100 NIC

    One thing I'm worried about is a Linux-minded friend claims that some
    Wireless cards, made by BroadCom, don't work or don't work well w/
    Linux due to maker not releasing specs.

    > you should have no problems depending on the distro you use. SuSE 8.2 and
    > the newest Mandrake seem to install almost flawlessly. RH 9.0 installs
    > seem to have a lot of problems.

    Huh. I thought Mandrake was RH made easier for novices...

    > The two biggest problems are legacy USB and firewire. You should diable
    > them in the bios before doing the install. If you want to dual boot with
    > WinXP, you will need to use either the linux NTFS tools or Partition Magic
    > to resize and format the hard drive. Linux can only read from NTFS at this
    > time.
    > www.linux-laptop.net and tuxmobil.org will have more resources you can
    > check.

    Thanks.

    -S

    > Zane
    >
    > Stephen J. Fromm wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone with any thoughts or experience why I should _not_ purchase an
    > > HP pavilion ze4400 series notebook, if I'm planning on putting Linux
    > > on it?
    > >
    > > sjfromm

  6. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    These specs are very similar to my Compaq, except for the built-in wireless.
    That might not work. I am using a Netgear MA401RA card. The setup was a
    little tricky, but not hard. I have details at
    http://pages.sbcglobal.net/zvan.
    Dual booting with WinXP is really simple with SuSE 8.2. You will need to
    re-partition the drive with Partition Magic or the linux ntfs tools. Then
    reformat the linux partition. SuSE will automatically recognize the
    windows partition and make an entry for it kn the Grub bootloader.
    Mandrake should handle the dual boot in a similar manner. Mandrake is based
    on RH, but with some added configuration tools. Also, Mandrake usually has
    more up-to-date packages.
    Zane

    --
    Zane
    Registered Linux User 159730
    The box said Windows 98 or better, so I installed SuSE Linux.

  7. Re: HP ze4400 pavilion notebook

    Stephen J. Fromm wrote:
    > Zane Vandiver wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Stephen,
    >>What are the specs on this machine? If it is similar to the Compaq 2170,

    > * Athlon XP-M 2200+
    > * ATI IGP 320M chipset (or something similar--this is from a poster to
    > a PC Mag review of a very similar machine, and for some reason HP
    > doesn't tell you what the chipset is)
    > * 512 MB DDR SDRAM
    > * 30 GB HDD
    > * 54g Wireless (includes 802.11b)
    > * 10/100 NIC

    Hi, I have a pavilion ze4218.
    I installed on it RH 8.0 without problems.
    Troubles come from ether card. I never went out behind the gateway. I
    should look for donald becker site (www.sclyd.org ?) for new release of
    the eth card. Kernel reports an option for my card but it don't seem to
    work.
    I can note use IGP chipset feature, I'm using frame buffer solution.
    I didn't try firewire. USB storages works well.
    I 'm not able to utilize the +/-/MUTE volume buttons on the left side on
    my laptop. I can't change brightness (it is always on max value).

    HTH
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread