Wireless DHCP trouble - Portable

This is a discussion on Wireless DHCP trouble - Portable ; I'm having a bit of trouble with my SpeedStream 2021 wireless card. I can't seem to get the card to get an IP from my access point/router when I insert the card. Here're the basics: Distribution: Vector Linux v4, rc2 ...

  1. Wireless DHCP trouble

    I'm having a bit of trouble with my SpeedStream 2021 wireless card. I can't
    seem to get the card to get an IP from my access point/router when I insert
    the card. Here're the basics:

    I compiled the PCMCIA modules myself so that they would support my PCMCIA
    bridge.
    My /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts entry for the card looks like this (specific
    info removed in <>):

    *,*,*,)
    NICKNAME="SpeedStream";
    INFO="SpeedStream wireless card";
    ESSID="";
    MODE="Managed";
    DHCP="y";
    KEY="";
    ;;

    When I insert the card I hear the beeps from the PCMCIA service indicating
    that the card was recognized, but then I hear a 'clicking' sound. The
    indicator light on the card tells me that it has found a network, but the
    interface doesn't have an address. When I do an iwconfig and ifconfig, I
    see the expected interface information, including the wep key from the
    wireless.opts entry, and the hardware address of my access point, but no IP
    address. After a while the 'clicking' sound stops, and I don't see the
    interface listed when I do an iwconfig or ifconfig.

    Now here's the weird part:
    If I remove the DHCP="y" from the wireless.opts entry, then insert the card
    and I issue the following commands by hand, the card has no trouble getting
    an address and sending subsequent traffic over the network:

    ifconfig eth0 up
    dhcpcd eth0

    I can't understand why I don't have any trouble when I bring up the
    interface and request an address manually. Anyone have advice?

    I was thinking I could hack a script together that would issue the commands
    but there must be another solution...

    Thanks, hope I got all the necessary info in here...

  2. Re: Wireless DHCP trouble

    Turns out there was a problem with my network script. I guess the script
    was doing dhcpcd -d eth0 before ifconfig eth0 up had finished. I added a 2
    second sleep to the script and that fixed it!

    "John Worthington" wrote in message
    > I'm having a bit of trouble with my SpeedStream 2021 wireless card. I

    can't
    > seem to get the card to get an IP from my access point/router when I

    insert
    > the card. Here're the basics:

    > I compiled the PCMCIA modules myself so that they would support my PCMCIA
    > bridge.
    > My /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts entry for the card looks like this (specific
    > info removed in <>):
    >
    > *,*,*,)
    > NICKNAME="SpeedStream";
    > INFO="SpeedStream wireless card";
    > ESSID="";
    > MODE="Managed";
    > DHCP="y";
    > KEY="";
    > ;;
    >
    > When I insert the card I hear the beeps from the PCMCIA service indicating
    > that the card was recognized, but then I hear a 'clicking' sound. The
    > indicator light on the card tells me that it has found a network, but the
    > interface doesn't have an address. When I do an iwconfig and ifconfig, I
    > see the expected interface information, including the wep key from the
    > wireless.opts entry, and the hardware address of my access point, but no

    IP
    > address. After a while the 'clicking' sound stops, and I don't see the
    > interface listed when I do an iwconfig or ifconfig.
    >
    > Now here's the weird part:
    > If I remove the DHCP="y" from the wireless.opts entry, then insert the

    card
    > and I issue the following commands by hand, the card has no trouble

    getting
    > an address and sending subsequent traffic over the network:
    >
    > ifconfig eth0 up
    > dhcpcd eth0
    >
    > I can't understand why I don't have any trouble when I bring up the
    > interface and request an address manually. Anyone have advice?
    >
    > I was thinking I could hack a script together that would issue the

    commands
    > but there must be another solution...
    >
    > Thanks, hope I got all the necessary info in here...

+ Reply to Thread