voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200 - Portable

This is a discussion on voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200 - Portable ; Hello all, I would like to be able to use the built-in mic on my Dell Inspiron 8200 to do mono recordings of presentations. Has anyone done such a thing under Linux? If I can't use the built-in mic, I ...

  1. voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200

    Hello all,

    I would like to be able to use the built-in mic on my Dell Inspiron 8200
    to do mono recordings of presentations. Has anyone done such a thing
    under Linux? If I can't use the built-in mic, I would love to use the
    mic on my webcam, or if I had to buy an external mic, that would work
    too...what I really need is a nice GUI app. Any suggestions?

    Thanks in advance to all who reply.

  2. Re: voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200

    Chris Stump wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I would like to be able to use the built-in mic on my Dell Inspiron 8200
    > to do mono recordings of presentations. Has anyone done such a thing
    > under Linux? If I can't use the built-in mic, I would love to use the
    > mic on my webcam, or if I had to buy an external mic, that would work
    > too...what I really need is a nice GUI app. Any suggestions?

    Any recording application can do that. Make sure you have "mic" set as
    recording source in your mixer app.

    Peter Lemken
    Berlin

    --
    Wer behauptet, den "Playboy" nur der Artikel wegen zu lesen, der schaut sich
    auch dreistündige Pornofilme an, um zu erfahren wie sie ausgehen.

  3. Re: voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200

    > Any recording application can do that. Make sure you have "mic" set as
    > recording source in your mixer app.

    Unfortunately, its not that easy. I tried doing just that with GNOME's
    default sound recording utility, sound recorder, but it failed miserably.

    Any suggestions on software to use for direct disk recording of voice
    from a built-in laptop mic under a GNOME Red Hat 9 setup?

    Thanks again!

    Chris

  4. Re: voice recording/RH 9/Inspiron 8200

    "Chris Stump" wrote in message
    news:XXm7b.357$ev2.281164@newssrv26.news.prodigy.c om...

    > > Any recording application can do that. Make sure you have "mic" set as
    > > recording source in your mixer app.

    > Unfortunately, its not that easy. I tried doing just that with GNOME's
    > default sound recording utility, sound recorder, but it failed miserably.
    >
    > Any suggestions on software to use for direct disk recording of voice
    > from a built-in laptop mic under a GNOME Red Hat 9 setup?
    >
    > Thanks again!
    >
    > Chris

    Same problem with GNOME, doesn't work, i think there is a bug!

    but the command line "record" does work "man record" and with lame you can
    convert it into mp3
    cheers,

    PS: anyone that has GNOME sound recording working? post it here!

+ Reply to Thread